- the condition of having bloodshot eyes, as from eyestrain or lack of sleep.
- Also red eye, redeye. Informal. a commercial airline flight between two distant points that departs late at night and arrives early in the morning.
- redeye(def 3).
- an unwanted photographic effect in which a person's iris appears to be red: caused by the reflection of a flashbulb off the blood vessels of the retina.
- Also redeye. Informal. of or indicating a long-distance flight that leaves late at night: the red-eye special from New York to Los Angeles.
Origin of red-eye
1965–70, for def 2
Origin of redeye
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Related Words for red eyesmoke, liquor, drink, booze, methanol, ethanol, intoxicant, cocktail, moonshine, tipple, sauce, firewater, toddy, alky, rotgut, hootch, palliative, red-eye
- photog an undesirable effect that sometimes appears in flashlight portraits when light from the flash enters the eye and is reflected from the retina on to the film, producing a red colour
- US slang inferior whiskey
- Canadian slang a drink incorporating beer and tomato juice
- another name for rudd
- an aeroplane flight leaving late at night or arriving early in the morning
- (as modifier)a red-eye flight
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
"airplane flight which deprives travelers of sleep," 1968, from the red eyes of sleeplessness; earlier as a noun meaning "raw and inferior whiskey" (1819, American English).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper