Origin of redeye
- the condition of having bloodshot eyes, as from eyestrain or lack of sleep.
- Also red eye, redeye. Informal. a commercial airline flight between two distant points that departs late at night and arrives early in the morning.
- redeye(def 3).
- an unwanted photographic effect in which a person's iris appears to be red: caused by the reflection of a flashbulb off the blood vessels of the retina.
- Also redeye. Informal. of or indicating a long-distance flight that leaves late at night: the red-eye special from New York to Los Angeles.
Origin of red-eye
Related Words for redeyesmoke, liquor, drink, booze, methanol, ethanol, intoxicant, cocktail, moonshine, tipple, sauce, firewater, toddy, alky, rotgut, hootch, palliative, red-eye
Examples from the Web for redeye
Contemporary Examples of redeye
You see, Campbell played a widow Don meets on the redeye back to New York after visiting Megan in Los Angeles.All the Signs That Don Draper Will Die on ‘Mad Men’
April 14, 2014
Historical Examples of redeye
Now it appears to be the redeye, and again the chipping-sparrow.
All too soon the only bird notes are those of the redeye and the pewee.
Of course he doesn't have red eyes, and he is a little smaller than Redeye.
"Redeye believes in singing while he works," said Jenny Wren.
Now there was nothing that Redeye himself could do to help, for he was too small.The Adventures of Prickly Porky
Thornton W. Burgess
- US slang inferior whiskey
- Canadian slang a drink incorporating beer and tomato juice
- another name for rudd
- an aeroplane flight leaving late at night or arriving early in the morning
- (as modifier)a red-eye flight
"airplane flight which deprives travelers of sleep," 1968, from the red eyes of sleeplessness; earlier as a noun meaning "raw and inferior whiskey" (1819, American English).