- Government. the principle or system of dividing a city, state, etc., into separate administrative regions.
- advocacy of such a principle or system.
- a speech form, expression, custom, or other feature peculiar to or characteristic of a particular area.
- devotion to the interests of one's own region.
- Literature. the theory or practice of emphasizing the regional characteristics of locale or setting, as by stressing local speech.
- (often initial capital letter) a style of American painting developed chiefly 1930–40 in which subject matter was derived principally from rural areas.
Origin of regionalism
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- division of a country into administrative regions having partial autonomy
- advocacy of such division
- loyalty to one's home region; regional patriotism
- the common interests of national groups, people, etc, living in the same part of the world
- a word, custom, accent, or other characteristic associated with a specific region
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper