- an adjustable device in a clock or a watch for making it go faster or slower.
- a master clock, usually of great accuracy, against which other clocks are checked.
- a governor mechanism for regulating the flow of fuel, steam, etc., to an engine in order to maintain constant speed under varying load or resistance.
- a valve for regulating the pressure of flowing gas or liquid to maintain a predetermined pressure.
- any of various mechanisms for maintaining a temperature, a level of liquid in a tank, etc.
- a member of any of several bands or committees in North Carolina (1767–71), formed to resist certain abuses, as extortion by officials.
- (in newly settled areas) a member of any band or committee organized to preserve order before the establishment of regular legal authority.
Words nearby regulator
Example sentences from the Web for regulator
The station is already serving two five-year license probations after serious breaches of the Australian regulator's code.Tragedy As Receptionist Who Connected Kate Middleton Prank Callers Commits Suicide|Tom Sykes|December 7, 2012|DAILY BEAST
The station 2Day FM is already serving two five-year license probations after serious breaches of the Australian regulator's code.Meet The DJ Who Would Be Queen - And Pranked Kate Middleton's Nurse Into Thinking She Was|Tom Sykes|December 5, 2012|DAILY BEAST
After that, he said, “you can worry about whether or not a regulator did his job at the height of the crisis.”What Timothy Geithner Could Have Done About Interest Rate Rigging|Matthew Zeitlin|July 12, 2012|DAILY BEAST
When a regulator could be staffed by shills for the industry it was supposed to oversee, it was.
A regulator is subject to the influence of the times and of those being regulated.
It can be made a regulator of the Western business of the State.Minority Report of the Committee on Railways in Relation to the Hoosac Tunnel and the Railroads|Erastus Payson Carpenter
Existing evils will decrease or increase according as this regulator shall work well or ill.Essentials of Economic Theory|John Bates Clark
When the rails are slippery, great care is required to prevent the engine from slipping, by closing the regulator in time.How to Become an Engineer|Frank W. Doughty
The swing-valves of these are opened or closed by means of the regulator (R).
That centre of gravity acted the part of a pendulum or regulator in the new government, and kept all the forces working in unison.A Fantasy of Far Japan|Baron Kencho Suyematsu