- an adjustable device in a clock or a watch for making it go faster or slower.
- a master clock, usually of great accuracy, against which other clocks are checked.
- a governor mechanism for regulating the flow of fuel, steam, etc., to an engine in order to maintain constant speed under varying load or resistance.
- a valve for regulating the pressure of flowing gas or liquid to maintain a predetermined pressure.
- any of various mechanisms for maintaining a temperature, a level of liquid in a tank, etc.
- a member of any of several bands or committees in North Carolina (1767–71), formed to resist certain abuses, as extortion by officials.
- (in newly settled areas) a member of any band or committee organized to preserve order before the establishment of regular legal authority.
Examples from the Web for regulator
The station is already serving two five-year license probations after serious breaches of the Australian regulator's code.Tragedy As Receptionist Who Connected Kate Middleton Prank Callers Commits Suicide|Tom Sykes|December 7, 2012|DAILY BEAST
The station 2Day FM is already serving two five-year license probations after serious breaches of the Australian regulator's code.Meet The DJ Who Would Be Queen - And Pranked Kate Middleton's Nurse Into Thinking She Was|Tom Sykes|December 5, 2012|DAILY BEAST
After that, he said, “you can worry about whether or not a regulator did his job at the height of the crisis.”What Timothy Geithner Could Have Done About Interest Rate Rigging|Matthew Zeitlin|July 12, 2012|DAILY BEAST
When a regulator could be staffed by shills for the industry it was supposed to oversee, it was.
A regulator is subject to the influence of the times and of those being regulated.
It can be made a regulator of the Western business of the State.Minority Report of the Committee on Railways in Relation to the Hoosac Tunnel and the Railroads|Erastus Payson Carpenter
Existing evils will decrease or increase according as this regulator shall work well or ill.Essentials of Economic Theory|John Bates Clark
When the rails are slippery, great care is required to prevent the engine from slipping, by closing the regulator in time.How to Become an Engineer|Frank W. Doughty
The swing-valves of these are opened or closed by means of the regulator (R).
That centre of gravity acted the part of a pendulum or regulator in the new government, and kept all the forces working in unison.A Fantasy of Far Japan|Baron Kencho Suyematsu