- to reply or answer in words: to respond briefly to a question.
- to make a return by some action as if in answer: to respond generously to a charity drive.
- to react favorably.
- Physiology. to exhibit some action or effect as if in answer; react: Nerves respond to a stimulus.
- to correspond (usually followed by to).
- Bridge. to make a response.
- to say in answer; reply.
Origin of respond
Synonyms for respondSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for respondedreturn, acknowledge, counter, react, behave, answer, reply, rejoin, reciprocate, retort, feedback
Examples from the Web for responded
Contemporary Examples of responded
Leapolitan responded by saying, “hopefully youll [sic] bite into a poison apple.”Grindr’s Trans Dating Problem
January 9, 2015
I was a little mystified at how benignly he responded to my questions about his business activities.I Tried to Warn You About Sleazy Billionaire Jeffrey Epstein in 2003
January 7, 2015
When he has called the police in the past, they have not responded, or responded “mad late.”Ground Zero of the NYPD Slowdown
January 1, 2015
The U.S. responded to security threats with cool heads and plenty of expertise in WWII and the Cold War.Why Did We Panic After 9/11 and Ignore All We Knew About Responding to Security Threats?
December 18, 2014
Roth responded to the criticism by saying that “Americans do not even know that this country exists.”When Countries Lose Their Shit Over American Movies
December 17, 2014
Historical Examples of responded
This was responded to by a roar of satisfaction from the crowd below.Harriet, The Moses of Her People
Sarah H. Bradford
"That is precisely what I wish them to be," responded Grace, in all earnestness.Grace Harlowe's Return to Overton Campus
Jessie Graham Flower
"It would not be like him," responded Hester, with self-accusation.Weighed and Wanting
Usually he had some cheerful banter for Tillie, to which she responded in kind.K
Mary Roberts Rinehart
"I wish there were a way and I knew it," she responded with a smile.The Bacillus of Beauty
- to state or utter (something) in reply
- (intr) to act in reply; reactto respond by issuing an invitation
- (intr foll by to) to react favourablythis patient will respond to treatment
- an archaic word for correspond
- architect a pilaster or an engaged column that supports an arch or a lintel
- Christianity a choral anthem chanted in response to a lesson read at a church service