- the hazard or chance of loss.
- the degree of probability of such loss.
- the amount that the insurance company may lose.
- a person or thing with reference to the hazard involved in insuring him, her, or it.
- the type of loss, as life, fire, marine disaster, or earthquake, against which an insurance policy is drawn.
OTHER WORDS FOR risk
Idioms about risk
- in a dangerous situation or status; in jeopardy: families at risk in the area of the weakened dam.
- under financial or legal obligation; held responsible: Are individual investors at risk for the debt part of the real estate venture?
Origin of risk
OTHER WORDS FROM riskrisker, nounriskless, adjectiveun·risked, adjective
Words nearby risk
How to use risk in a sentence
Along with deforestation, climate change also plays a role in increasing fire risk in the Amazon and Pantanal.What wildfires in Brazil, Siberia, and the US West have in common|Lili Pike|September 17, 2020|Vox
That won’t lessen the current level of risk, but it could at least limit how much worse things get.Suppressing fires has failed. Here’s what California needs to do instead.|James Temple|September 17, 2020|MIT Technology Review
Water customers in Imperial Beach and Coronado were at risk of a suspect pricing mechanism, according to a ratepayer watchdog, until state regulators stepped in late last month.Environment Report: State Throws Cold Water on Pricing Scheme|MacKenzie Elmer|September 14, 2020|Voice of San Diego
Some groups are subject to disproportionate risks so that other groups reap disproportionate benefits.Why Coming Up With Effective Interventions To Address COVID-19 Is So Hard|Neil Lewis Jr. (email@example.com)|September 14, 2020|FiveThirtyEight
When nothing else is predictable, brands can afford to take risks.Deep Dive: How the Summer of 2020 forced brand marketing to change for the better|jim cooper|September 14, 2020|Digiday
Obsessive exercising and inadequate nutrition can, over time, put people at high risk for overuse injuries like stress fractures.How Skinny Is Too Skinny? Israel Bans ‘Underweight’ Models|Carrie Arnold|January 8, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Together, the teams are working 24 hours a day for a product that promises much higher risk than it does profit.The Race for the Ebola Vaccine|Abby Haglage|January 7, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Politicians who openly associated with Duke, or his hard-core associates, did so at their own risk.The Louisiana Racists Who Courted Steve Scalise|Jason Berry|January 3, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Advanced maternal age dramatically increases the risk of maternal mortality as well as birth defects like Down Syndrome.Men Will Someday Have Kids Without Women|Samantha Allen|January 3, 2015|DAILY BEAST
It denotes the person that puts on the badge, puts on the blue uniform, and goes into the streets to put their life at risk.Cop Families Boo De Blasio at NYPD Graduation|Michael Daly|December 30, 2014|DAILY BEAST
But a lawyer who needed the wherewithal finally condescended to risk the task, and into it he plunged.The Homesteader|Oscar Micheaux
If the Duke de Ripperda be found, he must be taken alive, at the risk of those who seek him.The Pastor's Fire-side Vol. 3 of 4|Jane Porter
Assuredly, this was an occasion when the sacrifice of a few minutes might avoid the grave risk of a breakdown after daybreak.The Red Year|Louis Tracy
The hospitals in the capital were crowded with wounded soldiers, brought in at great risk from the rural districts.The Philippine Islands|John Foreman
We find these figures in “Chance,” which by Concurrence describes the risk they ran.Assimilative Memory|Marcus Dwight Larrowe (AKA Prof. A. Loisette)
British Dictionary definitions for risk
- chance of a loss or other event on which a claim may be filed
- the type of such an event, such as fire or theft
- the amount of the claim should such an event occur
- a person or thing considered with respect to the characteristics that may cause an insured event to occur
- vulnerable; likely to be lost or damaged
- social welfare vulnerable to personal damage, to the extent that a welfare agency might take protective responsibility
Derived forms of riskrisker, noun
Word Origin for risk
Other Idioms and Phrases with risk
In addition to the idiom beginning with risk
- risk life and limb
- at risk
- calculated risk
- run a risk