- a series of prayers, usually consisting of 15 decades of aves, each decade being preceded by a paternoster and followed by a Gloria Patri, one of the mysteries or events in the life of Christ or the Virgin Mary being recalled at each decade.
- a string of beads used for counting these prayers during their recitation.
- a similar string of beads consisting of five decades.
Words nearby rosary
How to use rosary in a sentence
That includes the patient before her, the one with braided red curls, pale skin, the one with rosaries draped over her bedside, lying flat on her stomach, her left ear and cheek exposed, a tube inserted in her mouth filling her lungs with oxygen.I Didn't Want to Push My Aunt to Get the Vaccine. Now I Live With Regrets|Ross Dellenger|September 12, 2021|Time
She recalled how each night her grandparents would pray the rosary.
This time, she hid a prayer card and string of rosary beads underneath the green leaves of a day lily to protect Miguel when she was not there.
On Wednesday mornings before mass, he recites the rosary in a special prayer of liberation from the chains of the devil.
The parishioners began saying the Rosary as a call went in to 911.
The faithful were still saying the Rosary when the officers informed them that they had to leave.
Stigler pressed his hand over the rosary he kept in his flight jacket.
Maradona spent much of the game frantically gesticulating and clutching his rosary.
It was all of spotless white, with a long black rosary hanging from her breast.The Pastor's Fire-side Vol. 3 of 4|Jane Porter
Sedgrave, the mayor, who had sat quiet during the former service, produced a rosary and prayed openly before the bloody effigy.Ireland Under the Tudors, Vol. II (of 3)|Richard Bagwell
He wore a cap with a similar token, and carried a rosary in his hand.
My days slip by like pearl-gray beads on a rosary, Michael Daragh.Jane Journeys On|Ruth Comfort Mitchell
The Cristiano carried in one pocket his rosary and in the other his knife.Castellinaria|Henry Festing Jones
British Dictionary definitions for rosary
- a series of prayers counted on a string of beads, usually consisting of five or 15 decades of Aves, each decade beginning with a Paternoster and ending with a Gloria
- a string of 55 or 165 beads used to count these prayers as they are recited
Word Origin for rosary
Medical definitions for rosary
Cultural definitions for rosary
A set of prayers common in the Roman Catholic Church, said during meditation on events in the lives of Jesus and of Mary, the mother of Jesus. A rosary is also the string of beads that the worshiper uses to count the prayers.