- a sliding piece, as a loper.
- rocker(def 1).
- a slender stolon that runs along the surface of the ground and sends out roots and leaves at the nodes, as in the strawberry.
- a plant that spreads by such stems.
HEED THE VOX POPULI, AND TAKE THIS WORD OF THE DAY QUIZ!
Words nearby runner
Example sentences from the Web for runner
One runner in Houston now has a permanent, hoof-shaped scar in the center of his forehead.
Some, like Smart Socks, measure strike speed and heel placement for runner trying to get that next PR.Fitness Tracker 101: Everything You Need to Know About Your New Gadget|Megan Humphreys|December 27, 2013|DAILY BEAST
The winner of the first marathon (OK, he was the only runner, but still) died from the effort.
Zachary wound up, eyed the runner, then uncorked a sizzling fastball.
Rick Santorum, the runner up to Mitt Romney in 2012, was at CPAC likely hoping to continue that tradition.What Do We Know About 2016 After the CPAC Straw Poll?|Ben Jacobs|March 16, 2013|DAILY BEAST
This is not an abnormal action, but is of necessity, or asphyxia would instantly result and the runner would drop.
I think Everett Colby was as good a man interfering for the runner as I have seen.Football Days|William H. Edwards
The next instant, his sword-point dripping blood, the runner 403 was beyond reach, speeding for the open gate.Beyond the Frontier|Randall Parrish
Harris punted to Chambers' forty yards and Edwards got the runner neatly.Left Tackle Thayer|Ralph Henry Barbour
Their skates are a part of them, and every runner seems bewitched.Hans Brinker|Mary Mapes Dodge
British Dictionary definitions for runner
- a person or vessel engaged in smuggling; smuggler
- (in combination)a rum-runner
- either of the strips of metal or wood on which a sledge runs
- the blade of an ice skate
- a slender stem with very long internodes, as of the strawberry, that arches down to the ground and propagates by producing roots and shoots at the nodes or tip
- a plant that propagates in this way