- any of several diseases of plants, characterized by reddish, brownish, or black pustules on the leaves, stems, etc., caused by fungi of the order Uredinales.
- Also called rust fungus. a fungus causing this disease.
- any of several other diseases of unknown cause, characterized by reddish-brown spots or discolorations on the affected parts.
verb (used without object)
verb (used with object)
Origin of rust
Related formsde·rust, verb (used with object)un·rust, verb (used with object)
Examples from the Web for rust
Still, there is hope for the Republicans in the Rust Belt—if they can give the public a reason to vote for them.Cleveland, LeBron James, and the 2016 Republican Convention|Lloyd Green|July 14, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Cenicafé researchers “anticipated climate change would create a scenario where rust was a real pandemic threat,” says Rhinehart.
And the saga of Rust Cohle and Marty Hart had, sadly, come to a close.Investigating ‘True Detective’ Season 2: Everything We Know (So Far) About the HBO Potboiler|Marlow Stern|May 28, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The Rust Belt city underwent its industrial boom during the Civil War when its steel mills helped produce weapons.
Some of the mutterings of Rust Cohle come from the perfectly elliptical and safely imprecise musings of Thomas Ligotti.‘True Detective,’ Obsessive-Compulsive Noir, and ‘Twin Peaks’|Jimmy So|March 14, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Lizzie, indeed, is fond of work; she is busy all day long, and it is evident that her sewing-machine is not allowed to rust.London's Heart|B. L. (Benjamin Leopold) Farjeon
I am afraid that I have allowed myself to rust in many ways.The Yellow House|E. Phillips Oppenheim
Clement was too sensible of Michelangelo's merit to allow him to rust out his powers in petty tasks.Little Journeys to the Homes of the Great, Volume 4 (of 14)|Elbert Hubbard
The slightest spot of dew or rain upon it produces a spot of rust which takes weeks of constant rubbing to efface.Venice|Dorothy Menpes
Gracious and commanding, he made his friends welcome with a courtly ease which no brooding years of solitude could rust.Nicanor - Teller of Tales|C. Bryson Taylor
British Dictionary definitions for rust
- any basidiomycetous fungus of the order Uredinales, parasitic on cereal plants, conifers, etc
- any of various plant diseases characterized by reddish-brown discoloration of the leaves and stem, esp that caused by the rust fungi
- a strong brown colour, sometimes with a reddish or yellowish tinge
- (as adjective)a rust carpet
Derived Formsrustless, adjective
Word Origin for rust
Medicine definitions for rust
Science definitions for rust
- Any of various basidiomycete fungi that are parasitic on plants and produce reddish or brownish spots on leaves. Rusts attack a wide variety of plants and can cause enormous damage to crops.
- Any of the various plant diseases caused by these fungi.