- identical with what is about to be or has just been mentioned: This street is the same one we were on yesterday.
- being one or identical though having different names, aspects, etc.: These are the same rules though differently worded.
- agreeing in kind, amount, etc.; corresponding: two boxes of the same dimensions.
- unchanged in character, condition, etc.: It's the same town after all these years.
- the same person or thing.
- the same kind or category of thing: You're having steak? I'll have the same, but very rare.
- the very person, thing, or set just mentioned: Sighted sub sank same.
- the same, in the same manner; in an identical or similar way: I see the same through your glasses as I do through mine.
- all the same,
- notwithstanding; nevertheless: You don't have to go but we wish you would, all the same.
- of no difference; immaterial: It's all the same to me whether our team loses or wins.
- just the same,
- in the same manner.
- nevertheless: It was a success, but it could easily have failed, just the same.
Origin of same
Synonyms for sameSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Antonyms for same
Related Words for samelike, double, clone, duplicate, look-alike, equal, Xerox, dupe, twin, carbon, equivalent, ditto, invariable, constant, uniform, aforesaid, comparable, compatible, corresponding, indistinguishable
Examples from the Web for same
Contemporary Examples of same
None of these, though, has inspired quite the same backlash as fluoride.Anti-Fluoriders Are The OG Anti-Vaxxers
July 27, 2016
This same outlet worked the phrase “engagement to toyboy lover” into the headline of their article on Fry.
It is the summit of human happiness: the surrender of man to God, of woman to man, of several women to the same man.Houellebecq’s Incendiary Novel Imagines France With a Muslim President
January 9, 2015
For his part, Bratton is disappointed but not surprised that the same narrative is already being mapped onto Fry and Spencer.
Grindr introduced the feature themselves in October the same year and called it ‘tribes.’Grindr’s Trans Dating Problem
January 9, 2015
Historical Examples of same
And still, dearest Philothea, your heart speaks the same language.
Dad and the mater both say the same now—they're more severe than I was.The Spenders
Harry Leon Wilson
It expresses the same transparent innocence, the same mild love.
Might not the same history be told of much that is believed?
This and other extracts from the same poet are translated by Thomas Moore, Esq.
- being the very oneshe is wearing the same hat she wore yesterday
- being the one previously referred to; aforesaid
- (as noun)a note received about same
- identical in kind, quantity, etctwo girls of the same age
- (as noun)we'd like the same, please
- unchanged in character or naturehis attitude is the same as ever
- all the same
- Also: just the samenevertheless; yet
- immaterialit's all the same to me
- in an identical manner
Word Origin for same
perhaps abstracted from Old English swa same "the same as," but more likely from Old Norse same, samr "same," both from Proto-Germanic *sama- "same" (cf. Old Saxon, Old High German, Gothic sama, Old High German samant, German samt "together, with," Gothic samana "together," Dutch zamelen "to collect," German zusammen "together"), from PIE *samos "same," from root *sem- (1) "one," also "as one" (adv.), "together with" (cf. Sanskrit samah "even, level, similar, identical;" Avestan hama "similar, the same;" Greek hama "together with, at the same time," homos "one and the same," homios "like, resembling," homalos "even;" Latin similis "like;" Old Irish samail "likeness;" Old Church Slavonic samu "himself").
Old English had lost the pure form of the word; the modern word replaced synonymous ilk. As a pronoun from c.1300. Colloquial phrase same here as an exclamation of agreement is from 1895. Same difference curious way to say "equal," is attested from 1945.
In addition to the idioms beginning with same
- same difference
- same here
- same old story, the
- same to you
- all the same
- amount to the same thing
- at the same time
- by the same token
- cast in the same mold
- great minds (run in the same channel)
- in the same boat
- in the same breath
- in the same league
- one and the same
- on the same wavelength