[ skol-uh-ping, skal- ]
/ ˈskɒl ə pɪŋ, ˈskæl- /


the act or occupation of collecting scallops.
a pattern or contour in the form of scallops, as along the edge of a garment.
the act of finishing an edge with scallops.

Nearby words

  1. scalled,
  2. scallion,
  3. scallop,
  4. scalloped,
  5. scalloper,
  6. scally,
  7. scallywag,
  8. scalogram,
  9. scaloppine,
  10. scalp

Origin of scalloping

First recorded in 1790–1800; scallop + -ing1


[ skol-uh p, skal- ]
/ ˈskɒl əp, ˈskæl- /


verb (used with object)

to finish (an edge) with scallops.
Cookery. to escallop.

verb (used without object)

to dredge for scallops.
Also scollop.

Origin of scallop

1350–1400; Middle English scalop, aphetic variant of escal(l)op escallop; sense “thin slice of meat” probably by association with French escalope escalope

Related formsun·scal·loped, adjective Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019

Examples from the Web for scalloping

British Dictionary definitions for scalloping


/ (ˈskɒləp, ˈskæl-) /



Derived Formsscalloper, nounscalloping, noun

Word Origin for scallop

C14: from Old French escalope shell, of Germanic origin; see scalp

Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012

Word Origin and History for scalloping



"bivalve mollusk," c.1400, from Old French escalope "shell (of a nut), carpace," variant of eschalope, probably from a Germanic source (cf. Old Norse skalpr "sheath," Middle Dutch schelpe "shell"); see scale (n.1). The shells of the larger species have been used as domestic utensils. Extended 17c. to objects shaped like scallop shells, especially in design and dress. The verb in the cookery sense, "to bake with sauce in a scallop shell-shaped pan," is attested from 1737. Related: Scalloped; scalloping.

Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper

Medicine definitions for scalloping


[ skŏlə-pĭng, skăl- ]


A series of indentations or erosions on a normally smooth margin of a structure.

The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.