- Psychiatry. of or relating to schizophrenia: Not all of these patients are schizophrenic.
- of or relating to conflicting or inconsistent elements; characterized by unusual disparity: It wavers from comedy to thriller to docudrama—a totally schizophrenic plot!
- a person with schizophrenia: Schizophrenics are often unable to focus on certain objects.
Origin of schizophrenic
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Related Words for schizo-phreniccrazy, irrational, paranoid, nuts, irresponsible, senseless, idiotic, preposterous, psychotic, mad, batty, bizarre, deranged, insane, unhinged, mental, demented, schizophrenic, psychopath, maniac
- exhibiting symptoms of schizophrenia
- informal, offensive experiencing or maintaining contradictory attitudes, emotions, etc
- a schizophrenic person
It is preferable to refer to a person as someone with a diagnosis of schizophrenia rather than as a schizophrenic . The general use of the word to mean 'contradictory' is also best avoided. Suitable alternatives are contradictory, inconsistent, incoherent
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Of, relating to, or affected by schizophrenia.
- One who is affected with schizophrenia.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.