- Psychiatry. of or relating to schizophrenia: Not all of these patients are schizophrenic.
- of or relating to conflicting or inconsistent elements; characterized by unusual disparity: It wavers from comedy to thriller to docudrama—a totally schizophrenic plot!
- a person with schizophrenia: Schizophrenics are often unable to focus on certain objects.
Origin of schizophrenic
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for schizophrenic
Turning from biblical interpretation to psychiatry, the actor added, “I think the man was likely schizophrenic.”Christian Bale: One Man's Moses Is Another Man's Terrorist
Candida Moss, Joel Baden
December 7, 2014
When it comes to environmental protection, the Obama administration has seemed nothing less than schizophrenic.EPA’s New Regulations to Cut Carbon Emissions Are Obamacare for the Air
June 2, 2014
A legitimately good pilot was followed by a series of schizophrenic episodes.Mindy Kaling on How ‘The Mindy Project’ Became Legitimately Great
September 17, 2013
After a schizophrenic student said the school failed to help her, calls for reform have escalated.Mental-Health Breakdown: When Harvard Fails Its Students
March 18, 2013
Here's what's really going on: a schizophrenic conversation about the proper size and role of government.Who Cares About the Deficit?
February 15, 2013
At first glance, Martin's reactions appear to be those one would expect of schizophrenic withdrawal.Anything You Can Do ...
Gordon Randall Garrett
So far is this true that Bleuler looks on "schizophrenic" cases with this symptom of "Benommenheit" as organic in etiology.Benign Stupors
Like the schizophrenic, Martin was living in a little world that was cut off from the actual physical world around his body.Anything You Can Do
Gordon Randall Garrett
He begins jabbering like a schizophrenic parrot reading a Sanskrit dictionary backward!Lighter Than You Think
I am (to state it in politically incorrectly language) a schizophrenic.Dreaming of Dreaming
Peter E. Williams
- exhibiting symptoms of schizophrenia
- informal, offensive experiencing or maintaining contradictory attitudes, emotions, etc
- a schizophrenic person
It is preferable to refer to a person as someone with a diagnosis of schizophrenia rather than as a schizophrenic . The general use of the word to mean 'contradictory' is also best avoided. Suitable alternatives are contradictory, inconsistent, incoherent
Word Origin and History for schizophrenic
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Of, relating to, or affected by schizophrenia.
- One who is affected with schizophrenia.