- a man who presides over or teaches in a school.
- anything that teaches or directs: Life can be a harsh schoolmaster.
- a snapper, Lutjanus apodus, a food fish found in Florida, the West Indies, etc.
- to teach or direct in the capacity of schoolmaster.
Origin of schoolmaster
Related Words for schoolmasterlecturer, professor, educator, teacher, schoolteacher, schoolmaster, pedant, tutor, instructor
Examples from the Web for schoolmaster
Contemporary Examples of schoolmaster
And with no negative response from my friend, his schoolmaster.Racism and Religious Zionist Youth Movements: Own Up
Dr. Assaf David
May 30, 2013
Six years later Ellen, after deducting 10 years from her actual age, married a schoolmaster and became the mother of two.Michael Slater on the Great Dickens Scandal
November 8, 2012
Historical Examples of schoolmaster
They laughed together, and the schoolmaster rose to light his lamp.
The schoolmaster took up his lamp again and walked to the door.
The schoolmaster hesitated, and turned the lamp-wick up and down.
Then she and the schoolmaster, by one accord, began to laugh.
Handkerchiefs for the schoolmaster, stockings and gloves for Solon!
- a man who teaches in or runs a school
- a person or thing that acts as an instructor
- a food fish, Lutjanus apodus, of the warm waters of the Caribbean and Atlantic: family Lutjanidae (snappers)
- to be a schoolmaster