- to soften (the color or tone of a painted area) by overlaying parts with opaque or semiopaque color applied thinly and lightly with an almost dry brush.
- the act or technique of scumbling.
- the effect produced by this technique.
Origin of scumble
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- (in painting and drawing) to soften or blend (an outline or colour) with an upper coat of opaque colour, applied very thinly
- the upper layer of colour applied in this way
- the technique or effects of scumbling
C18: probably from scum