- the making of an incision.
- an incision.
- a small unit consisting of two or more squads.
- Also called staff section. any of the subdivisions of a staff.
- a small tactical division in naval and air units.
- a division of a sleeping car containing both an upper and a lower berth.
- a length of trackage, roadbed, signal equipment, etc., maintained by one crew.
verb (used with object)
QUIZ YOURSELF ON AFFECT VS. EFFECT!
Origin of section
synonym study for section
OTHER WORDS FROM sectionhalf-section, nounmul·ti·sec·tion, adjectiveun·sec·tioned, adjective
Example sentences from the Web for section
We’ll see what each section is telling us, and how they all start to fit together with the revelations of the final section.The mind-boggling end of Susan Choi’s Trust Exercise, explained|Constance Grady|November 20, 2020|Vox
We marked this section for spoilers, but really, if you thought Dean, with his perpetual death wish, was going to make it through the series finale, you’ve been watching a different show.Supernatural’s bonkers series finale marked the end of an era of fandom|Aja Romano|November 20, 2020|Vox
The interview and speech excerpt section is more engaging, mostly because it contains flesh-and-blood details about the man and not just Amazon.Jeff Bezos’s thoughts on Big Business, outer space and The Washington Post|James Ledbetter|November 20, 2020|Washington Post
In the My Competitors section, you’ll find rivaling websites that rank for the keywords that you added to your project.
The e-commerce giant on Tuesday unveiled Amazon Pharmacy, a section of its retail website and mobile application that lets people order medication.Amazon Pharmacy is live: Shoppers can now order prescriptions directly through the tech giant|Rachel Schallom|November 17, 2020|Fortune
Incisor sectioning requires only incisors and appears to be much more accurate.
They were not only running a straight survey, but were cross-sectioning as they went.The Conquest|Oscar Micheaux
Figure 29 is the equatorial plate of a metaphase in which the larger component of the unequal pair has been removed in sectioning.Studies in Spermatogenesis|Nettie Maria Stevens
On sectioning the bones longitudinally the cortex is noted to be exceedingly thin, a mere shell and very brittle.Scurvy Past and Present|Alfred Fabian Hess
British Dictionary definitions for section
- a plane surface formed by cutting through a solid
- the shape or area of such a plane surfaceCompare cross section (def. 1)
- an extended division of a composition or movement that forms a coherent part of the structurethe development section
- a division in an orchestra, band, etc, containing instruments belonging to the same classthe brass section