- rule; control; authority; ascendancy.
- the condition of being dominant.
- Psychology. the disposition of an individual to assert control in dealing with others.
- Animal Behavior. high status in a social group, usually acquired as the result of aggression, that involves the tendency to take priority in access to limited resources, as food, mates, or space.
- Neurology. the normal tendency for one side of the brain to be more important than the other in controlling certain functions, as speech and language.
Origin of dominance
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- control; ascendancy
Word Origin and History for self-dominance
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- The condition or state of being dominant.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.