- rule; control; authority; ascendancy.
- the condition of being dominant.
- Psychology. the disposition of an individual to assert control in dealing with others.
- Animal Behavior. high status in a social group, usually acquired as the result of aggression, that involves the tendency to take priority in access to limited resources, as food, mates, or space.
- Neurology. the normal tendency for one side of the brain to be more important than the other in controlling certain functions, as speech and language.
Origin of dominance
Related Words for dominancecontrol, power, preeminence, influence, rule, domination, sovereignty, preponderance, government, authority, command, dominion, prepotency, sway, ascendancy, paramountcy
Examples from the Web for dominance
Contemporary Examples of dominance
Assertions of dominance over the wards, Dr. Edwards, and the other officers are pretty much all she has left.The Walking Dead’s ‘Crossed’: The Stage Is Now Set for a Bloody, Deadly Midseason Finale
November 24, 2014
This year, however, Democratic dominance at pounding the pavement might finally be challenged.Fight Over the Ground Game in Iowa Could Swing the Senate
August 13, 2014
Others are drawn to it because of the sense of dominance they think the drink provides.China Is Brewing Wine From Tiger Bones
July 22, 2014
One of the big shifts that Yuan notes is the rise and dominance of technology.Yes We Can Still Market: Why U.S. Brands Remain World’s Most Valuable
June 1, 2014
The quest for dominance of the Ukraine, either by Russia or NATO has been going on for a long time now.Julian Assange Blasts NSA Spying, Says ‘Obama Administration Isn’t Serious’at SXSW
March 8, 2014
Historical Examples of dominance
He was the symbol of a race abruptly exalted from inferiority to dominance.Sacrifice
Stephen French Whitman
But that, in their eras of dominance, they were almost as firmly believed in as if they had been proved.The Book of the Damned
And how the nothingness of these was made more emphatic by the dominance of that!The Little Russian Servant
It consists in the dominance of the Will over all conscious states.The New Avatar and The Destiny of the Soul
Jirah D. Buck
His dominance of the night before, in the library, had returned.No Clue
- control; ascendancy
- The condition or state of being dominant.