- the state or fact of being responsible, answerable, or accountable for something within one's power, control, or management.
- an instance of being responsible: The responsibility for this mess is yours!
- a particular burden of obligation upon one who is responsible: the responsibilities of authority.
- a person or thing for which one is responsible: A child is a responsibility to its parents.
- reliability or dependability, especially in meeting debts or payments.
- on one's own responsibility, on one's own initiative or authority: He changed the order on his own responsibility.
Origin of responsibility
SynonymsSee more synonyms for responsibility on Thesaurus.com
1. answerability, accountability.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for self-responsibility
She wants the great tonic cure of self-reliance and self-responsibility.Home Rule
Believing in the dignity of self-responsibility, he could not assume the burden of Julia's discouragement.Narcissus
As Ursula passed from girlhood towards womanhood, gradually the cloud of self-responsibility gathered upon her.The Rainbow
D. H. (David Herbert) Lawrence
- the state or position of being responsible
- a person or thing for which one is responsible
- the ability or authority to act or decide on one's own, without supervision
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for self-responsibility
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper