- a cardinal number, 10 plus 7.
- a symbol for this number, as 17 or XVII.
- a set of this many persons or things.
- amounting to 17 in number.
- (initial capital letter, italics) a novel (1916) by Booth Tarkington.
Origin of seventeen
Examples from the Web for seventeen
Contemporary Examples of seventeen
Thousand bucks a movie, seventeen informative minutes in length.Elmore Leonard’s Rocky Road to Fame and Fortune
September 13, 2014
In 1973, he was convicted on seventeen counts and sentenced to three years in federal prison.A Brief History of the Phrase 'F*ck the Police'
August 23, 2014
Seventeen years ago today, the fashion world lost one of its greatest members.Princess Diana, Kate Moss, Donna Karan, and More Reactions to Gianni Versace’s 1997 Murder
The Fashion Beast Team
July 15, 2014
I have been in ballparks for seventeen years and I have never received anything but kindness and encouragement from you fans.The Stacks: The Day Lou Gehrig Delivered Baseball’s Gettysburg Address
July 4, 2014
At the age of seventeen, Whitehurst jumped in a lake to save a man from drowning.Crime Fighter’s Dilemma: My Country or My Family?
April 21, 2014
Historical Examples of seventeen
“Seventeen, an it please your grace,” said Stephen, in the gruff voice of his age.The Armourer's Prentices
Charlotte M. Yonge
Reached the pool found by me on the 24th; distance seventeen miles.Explorations in Australia
There were sixty-four men, and sixteen or seventeen families.The Exploring Expedition to the Rocky Mountains, Oregon and California
Brevet Col. J.C. Fremont
So, on this Monday evening, there were but seventeen at the gathering.Ester Ried Yet Speaking
Morell translated it into English, and seventeen new numbers were added.Handel
Edward J. Dent
- the cardinal number that is the sum of ten and seven and is a prime numberSee also number (def. 1)
- a numeral, 17, XVII, etc, representing this number
- the amount or quantity that is seven more than ten
- something represented by, representing, or consisting of 17 units
- amounting to seventeenseventeen attempts
- (as pronoun)seventeen were sold