- a cardinal number, 10 times 7.
- a symbol for this number, as 70 or LXX.
- a set of this many persons or things.
- seventies, the numbers, years, degrees, or the like from 70 through 79, as in referring to numbered streets, indicating the years of a lifetime or of a century, or referring to degrees of temperature: They live in the Seventies. His uncle is in his early seventies. It was in the seventies yesterday.
- the Seventy, the body of scholars who produced the Septuagint.
- amounting to 70 in number.
Origin of seventy
Examples from the Web for seventies
Contemporary Examples of seventies
Francis is well into his seventies, looks it, has a mild demeanor and soft speaking style; but his rhetoric is electrifying.How Pope Francis Became the World’s BFF
December 21, 2014
The Rizzoli in New York City was no ordinary bookstore in its seventies heyday.The Bookstore That Bewitched Mick Jagger, John Lennon, and Greta Garbo
December 16, 2014
Until the seventies, women here were free to wear almost whatever they wanted.Saudi Activist Manal Al-Sharif on Why She Removed the Veil
Manal Al Sharif, Advancing Human Rights
October 30, 2014
A friend of mine says that the problem with Argentina is that we missed the seventies.
That generation was killed by the dictatorship here in the seventies.
Historical Examples of seventies
It happened in the 'seventies in winter, on the day after St. Nicholas's Day.Master and Man
It was in the late 'seventies, I think, that I first saw Mr. Morley.A Writer's Recollections (In Two Volumes), Volume II
Mrs. Humphry Ward
And I am glad to say that its seventies have never been applied to me.Notes on Life and Letters
Throughout the 'seventies the landlord class was in undisturbed supremacy.Irish Books and Irish People
One or two more we've got that were grey-headed in the seventies.The Dop Doctor
Clotilde Inez Mary Graves
- the cardinal number that is the product of ten and sevenSee also number (def. 1)
- a numeral, 70, LXX, etc, representing this number
- (plural) the numbers 70–79, esp the 70th to the 79th year of a person's life or of a particular century
- the amount or quantity that is seven times as big as ten
- something represented by, representing, or consisting of 70 units
- amounting to seventythe seventy varieties of fabric
- (as pronoun)to invite seventy to the wedding
Word Origin for seventy
1859 as the years of someone's life between 70 and 79; from 1837 as the eighth decade of years in a given century. See seventy.