- a tone on the seventh degree from a given tone (counted as the first).
- the interval between such tones.
- the harmonic combination of such tones.
TAKE THIS QUIZ TO SEE WHAT YOU KNOW ABOUT 2ND-3RD GRADE VOCAB FROM BOOKS!
Words nearby seventh
Example sentences from the Web for seventh
Rick would cut together five years worth of work, add the sixth, then recut six years worth of work, add the seventh, and so on.Coffee Talk with Ethan Hawke: On ‘Boyhood,’ Jennifer Lawrence, and Bill Clinton’s Urinal Exchange|Marlow Stern|December 27, 2014|DAILY BEAST
So she began trying out the beds, but none of them suited her until she found that the seventh one was just right.In New Brothers Grimm 'Snow White', The Prince Doesn't Save Her|The Brothers Grimm|November 30, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Even though it was a school day—about fifth period, I calculated—the arcade was filled with seventh graders.
Take the case of Herx v. Diocese of Fort Wayne, an employment discrimination suit in the Seventh Circuit.Catholic Church: Religious Freedom Trumps Civil Rights|Jay Michaelson|November 23, 2014|DAILY BEAST
In June only the three days were available, because of tide and moon: the fifth, the sixth, and the seventh.Blood in the Sand: When James Jones Wrote a Grunt’s View of D-Day|James Jones|November 15, 2014|DAILY BEAST
That seventh child of the Sultan, his companion was always Ali, the seventh child of the Wazir.Black Tales for White Children|C. H. Stigand
The conventional type of manual training—one period per week in the sixth, seventh and eighth grades—was not holding the pupils.The New Education|Scott Nearing
He counted the first tombs, opened the door of the seventh, and closed it again behind him.Ancient Manners|Pierre Louys
You know he was a friend of Edward the Seventh; they once lived together.Vocal Mastery|Harriette Brower
It is known by the time, which is usually about the seventh month.
British Dictionary definitions for seventh
- coming after the sixth and before the eighth in numbering or counting order, position, time, etc; being the ordinal number of seven: often written 7th
- (as noun)she left on the seventh; he was the seventh to arrive
- one of seven equal or nearly equal parts of an object, quantity, measurement, etc
- (as modifier)a seventh part