- a person or thing that shines.
- Slang. black eye(def 1).
- any of various small American freshwater fishes having glistening scales, especially a minnow.
- any of various silvery, marine fishes, as the menhaden or butterfish.
- a defect in silk or synthetic filament or fabric, produced either in the process of winding or as a result of shuttle friction and appearing on fabric as a shiny streak.
Origin of shiner
Examples from the Web for shiner
Contemporary Examples of shiner
Veterans of old and more recent wars crowded around the bar downing shots of Regal Crown Black, chased by Shiner Bock.Black Hawk Down’s Long Shadow
October 9, 2013
Hard to imagine him slammin' down Shiner Bocks and listenin' to Willie Nelson.Paul Begala: Ted Cruz and Texas’s Tea Party Revolution
August 1, 2012
Historical Examples of shiner
With a bait like a ballyhoo or a shiner I could get ten bites to one with mullet.Tales of Fishes
If you'd looked closer, you might have just spotted the traces of the shiner Inger gave her.Legacy
James H Schmitz
Finding no answer to the question, he wheeled Shiner and headed for home.Desert Conquest
A. M. Chisholm
"But some flies are tied with the tail next to the snell," ventured Shiner.
But the Shiner was equal to "his tricks and his manners," and soon had him in the landing-net.
- something that shines, such as a polishing device
- any of numerous small North American freshwater cyprinid fishes of the genus Notropis and related genera, such as N. cornutus (common shiner) and Notemigonus crysoleucas (golden shiner)
- a popular name for the mackerel
- informal a black eye
- NZ old-fashioned, informal a vagrant or tramp