- a severe swinging blow from the side.
- a rattlesnake, Crotalus cerastes, of southwestern U.S. and northern Mexico, that has a hornlike projection over each eye and that moves in loose sand by raising loops on the body and displacing them sideways.
- any Old World snake that moves by sidewinding, as various species of Bitis and Cerastes.
- (initial capital letter) an air-to-air, supersonic weapon that intercepts and destroys enemy aircraft using an infrared homing-guidance system.
Origin of sidewinder
Examples from the Web for sidewinder
Historical Examples of sidewinder
The sidewinder is of a grayish color, mottled with dark blotches.The Mystic Mid-Region
Arthur J. Burdick
Yknow what the sidewinder, Bronco, babbled fore he passed out?Satan and the Comrades
Pete walked over a sidewinder & Bud shot him ten ft. in air.Cabin Fever
B. M. Bower
Once a sidewinder, almost invisible against the sand, looped away from the intruders with smooth deliberation.Two Thousand Miles Below
Charles Willard Diffin
He had read that the sidewinder, or "horned" rattlesnake, was common in the Western deserts.The Scarlet Lake Mystery
Harold Leland Goodwin
- a North American rattlesnake, Crotalus cerastes, that moves forwards by a sideways looping motion
- boxing, US a heavy swinging blow from the side
- a US air-to-air missile using infrared homing aids in seeking its target