- shaped like the letter C.
- shaped like the letter S.
- of, relating to, or situated near the sigmoid flexure of the large intestine.
Sometimes sig·moi·dal [sig-moi-dl] /sɪgˈmɔɪ dl/.
Origin of sigmoid
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for sigmoidal
Historical Examples of sigmoidal
A sigmoidal fold, showing a bed xx in an overfold with arch (a), trough (t) and common limb c.
- shaped like the letter S
- of or relating to the sigmoid colon of the large intestine
- See sigmoid colon
Word Origin for sigmoid
C17: from Greek sigmoeidēs sigma-shaped
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Having the shape of the letter S.
- Of or relating to the sigmoid flexure of the colon.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.