- shaped like the letter C.
- shaped like the letter S.
- of, relating to, or situated near the sigmoid flexure of the large intestine.
Origin of sigmoid
Related Words for sigmoidcurvaceous, rounded, arched, crooked, twisted, elliptical, serpentine, twisting, looped, compass, sweeping, round, arced, wreathed, turned, humped, incurvate, skewed, circular, curly
Examples from the Web for sigmoid
Historical Examples of sigmoid
Sigmoid, curved in two directions, like the letter S, or the Greek sigma.The Elements of Botany
It is usually found in the lower part of the ileum, the ccum, sigmoid flexure, and other parts of the colon.
It was the practice with O'Beirne,71 Hare,72 and others to inject fluid by a long flexible tube passed beyond the sigmoid flexure.
Its most common site is the sigmoid flexure, and next in point of frequency the ccum.
It is most often observed in the sigmoid flexure and ccum, as are the other forms of carcinoma.
- shaped like the letter S
- of or relating to the sigmoid colon of the large intestine
- See sigmoid colon
Word Origin for sigmoid
- Having the shape of the letter S.
- Of or relating to the sigmoid flexure of the colon.