- a plus sign or minus sign used as a symbol for indicating addition or subtraction.
- a plus sign or minus sign used as a symbol for indicating the positive or negative value of a quantity, as an integer.
- multiplication sign.
- division sign.
- a symbol, as or !, used to indicate a radical or factorial operation.
- to withdraw, as from some responsibility or connection.
- to cease radio or television broadcasting, especially at the end of the day.
- Informal. to become silent: He had exhausted conversation topics and signed off.
- to indicate one's approval explicitly if not formally: The president is expected to sign off on the new agreement.
- to employ; hire.
- to bind oneself to work, as by signing a contract: He signed on as a pitcher with a major-league team.
- to start radio or television broadcasting, especially at the beginning of the day.
- Computers. log1 (def. 17a).
OTHER WORDS FOR sign
VIDEO FOR SIGN
Why Does The Word "Sign" Have So Many Meanings?
It's confusing because the word "sign" has so many meanings, which is why it can be added to lyrics to symbolize a lot of different things. So, what do some of our favorite singers mean when use the word "sign" in their music?
Origin of sign
synonym study for sign
OTHER WORDS FROM signsign·less, adjectivesign·like, adjectivepost·sign, verb (used with object)un·signed, adjective
WORDS THAT MAY BE CONFUSED WITH signsign , sing
Words nearby sign
How to use sign in a sentence
It’s the most precaution Valderruten has taken before a first date, and it’s a sign of how much the singles scene has changed in the past year.What’s sexy in a pandemic? Caution.|Lisa Bonos|February 12, 2021|Washington Post
The fact that I was even thinking that was a sign of how you start doubting your whole reality.Deepfake porn is ruining women’s lives. Now the law may finally ban it|Karen Hao|February 12, 2021|MIT Technology Review
The stormy pattern shows no signs of stopping, with four more chances for wintry precipitation over the next week.Snow expected tonight, mainly south of D.C., before possible ice on Saturday|Jason Samenow, Wes Junker|February 11, 2021|Washington Post
Senior aides to the impeachment managers’ team claim they are seeing signs that some Republicans may be wavering and might be convinced to vote for a conviction.I was skeptical of Democrats pursuing a second impeachment. I was wrong.|Karen Tumulty|February 11, 2021|Washington Post
In a true sign that the Politico of 2021 is not the Politico of, say, 2008, the Playbook crew didn’t publish the story 30 seconds after asking for comment.Politico loses scoop to People|Erik Wemple|February 11, 2021|Washington Post
They are always suspended over a precipice, dangling by a slender thread that shows every sign of snapping.How the PC Police Threaten Free Speech|Nick Gillespie|January 9, 2015|DAILY BEAST
It was hard not to take it as a sign, a personal comment on my own Jewish dating failings.My Week on Jewish Tinder|Emily Shire|January 5, 2015|DAILY BEAST
If he did, it could be a sign that our politicians are ready to resume genuine policy-making across party lines.Christie Blames Parents for Bad Economy|Monica Potts|January 3, 2015|DAILY BEAST
President Harry Truman kept a sign on his desk that read: “The Buck Stops Here.”The ‘No Child’ Rewrite Threatens Your Kids’ Future|Jonah Edelman|January 3, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Even then, most of us doubted he would show up and actually sign the papers allowing him to enter the 1992 New Hampshire primary.President Cuomo Would’ve Been a Lion|Jonathan Alter|January 2, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Its continued presence in pulmonary tuberculosis is, however, a grave prognostic sign, even when the physical signs are slight.
Idly his pen traced upon the paper in front of him a large X, the sign of the unknown quantity.Uncanny Tales|Various
Here they are seldom abundant, but their constant presence is the most reliable urinary sign of the disease.
Waxy casts are found in most advanced cases of nephritis, where they are an unfavorable sign.
Scouts reported that Porter still occupied his camp, and showed no sign of moving.The Courier of the Ozarks|Byron A. Dunn
British Dictionary definitions for sign
- a board, placard, etc, displayed in public and inscribed with words or designs intended to inform, warn, etc
- (as modifier)a sign painter
- any symbol indicating an operationa plus sign; an implication sign
- the positivity or negativity of a number, quantity, or expressionsubtraction from zero changes the sign of an expression
Derived forms of signsignable, adjective
Word Origin for sign
Scientific definitions for sign
Other Idioms and Phrases with sign
In addition to the idioms beginning with sign
- sign in
- sign off
- sign on
- sign one's own death warrant
- sign on the dotted line
- sign out
- sign over
- sign up
- high sign
- show signs of