- a structure, typically cylindrical, in which fodder or forage is kept.
- a pit or underground space for storing grain, green feeds, etc.
- Military. an underground installation constructed of concrete and steel, designed to house a ballistic missile and the equipment for firing it.
- to put into or preserve in a silo.
Origin of silo
Related Words for silocellar, granary, storehouse, silo, warehouse, depot, safe, arsenal, magazine, depository, vault, archive, stockroom, repository, armory, barn, cache, repertory, store
Examples from the Web for silo
Contemporary Examples of silo
There appear to be two crosses atop this overall structure, one on the main house and a larger one on the silo.George W. Bush ‘Comes Out’ As Artist
February 8, 2013
Historical Examples of silo
"It's lucky harvest will be over; silo filling, too," was his only comment.Dust
Mr. and Mrs. Haldeman-Julius
If he does not have a silo, some other food can be used in place of the ensilage.Agriculture for Beginners
Charles William Burkett
Like as not they will be wanting to take me to Hastings because I have built a silo; and then I may take you with me.O Pioneers!
When used for mixing with corn in a silo, the self-binder is satisfactory.
Best methods of building the silo, filling it and feeding ensilage.Your Plants
- a pit, trench, horizontal container, or tower, often cylindrical in shape, in which silage is made and stored
- a strengthened underground position in which missile systems are sited for protection against attack
Word Origin for silo
1835, from Spanish silo, traditionally derived from Latin sirum (nominative sirus), from Greek siros "a pit to keep corn in." "The change from r to l in Spanish is abnormal and Greek siros was a rare foreign term peculiar to regions of Asia Minor and not likely to emerge in Castilian Spain" [Barnhart]. Alternatively, the Spanish word is from a pre-Roman Iberian language word represented by Basque zilo, zulo "dugout, cave or shelter for keeping grain." Meaning "underground housing and launch tube for a guided missile" is attested from 1958.