- any of various fishes that leap above the surface of the water, as a tuna, Euthynnus pelamis, or the bonito.
- Entomology. click beetle.
- Nautical. an American one-masted sailing vessel.
Origin of skipjack
Examples from the Web for skipjack
Historical Examples of skipjack
In the big barn doorway the Skipjack and Willie Ramsey appeared.Back o' the Moon
Congratulate the Skipjack, with just a hint that he might have looked higher.Puppets at Large
"And comes for it like the cattle to the scrubbing-stones," said the Skipjack.
"Yet the Skipjack seemed the most improbable one of all," said his mother.
"If I thought it was the Skipjack element," she said, smiling.
- Also called: skipjack tuna an important food fish, Katsuwonus pelamis, that has a striped abdomen and occurs in all tropical seas: family Scombridae (mackerels and tunas)
- black skipjack a small spotted tuna, Euthynnus yaito, of Indo-Pacific seas
- any of several other unrelated fishes, such as the alewife and bonito
- nautical an American sloop used for oystering and as a yacht
- another name for a click beetle