- (of a metal) easily magnetized and demagnetized.
- (of solder) fusing readily.
- (of a metal or alloy) fully annealed, so as to provide minimum mechanical hardness.
- (of a photographic image) having delicate gradations of tone.
- (of a focus) lacking in sharpness.
- (of a lens) unable to be focused sharply.
- (of consonants) lenis, especially lenis and voiced.
- (of c and g) pronounced as in cent and gem.
- (of consonants in Slavic languages) palatalized.Compare hard (def. 38).
OTHER WORDS FOR soft
Idioms about soft
Origin of soft
OTHER WORDS FROM soft
Words nearby soft
How to use soft in a sentence
They are also odor-resistant and get increasingly softer over time.Best weighted blanket: Sleep like a baby with our comfy bedding picks|PopSci Commerce Team|February 12, 2021|Popular-Science
The artist can’t turn lead into gold, but making the hard gray substance appear soft and lacy is almost as impressive.In the galleries: Rejuvenating the obsolete into unconventional art|Mark Jenkins|February 12, 2021|Washington Post
The center will still be quite soft and slightly dipped, but the sides will be set.If loving a piping hot chocolate lava cake is wrong, I don’t want to be right|Becky Krystal|February 4, 2021|Washington Post
Tough leather palms make them perfect for cold-weather tasks at home or digging your car out of a snowbank, while a thin construction with touchscreen functionality, articulated fingers, and a breathable soft-shell back mean it can work as a liner.My Favorite Winter Gloves for Various Activities|Jakob Schiller|February 3, 2021|Outside Online
Giving up alcohol and coffee was easier than sticking to my soft diet, in fact, because I kept trying to force every meal into a “healthy” form.Six Months of Soft Food Set Me Free|Meghan McCarron|February 2, 2021|Eater
There were stomachs, taut and flat, but also undulating bellies, soft and bloated from the breakfast buffet.Powerful Congressman Writes About ‘Fleshy Breasts’|Asawin Suebsaeng|January 7, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Francis is well into his seventies, looks it, has a mild demeanor and soft speaking style; but his rhetoric is electrifying.How Pope Francis Became the World’s BFF|Jason Berry|December 21, 2014|DAILY BEAST
My surgeon told me my bones were so soft he could barely install the screws.You’re Never ‘Cured’ of an Eating Disorder|Carrie Arnold|December 20, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Of course, with such a soft-handed approach comes criticism from the Danish right.What the U.S. Can Learn from Europe About Dealing with Terrorists|Scott Beauchamp|December 15, 2014|DAILY BEAST
And Christopher Walken warbling and doing a little soft-shoe?‘Peter Pan Live!’ Review: No Amount of Clapping Brings It to Life|Kevin Fallon|December 5, 2014|DAILY BEAST
And once more, she found herself desiring to be like Janet--not only in appearance, but in soft manner and tone.Hilda Lessways|Arnold Bennett
A few small rocks of some soft stone may be added, and in between these the Ferns are planted.How to Know the Ferns|S. Leonard Bastin
His face flushed with annoyance, and taking off his soft hat he began to beat it impatiently against his leg as he walked.The Awakening and Selected Short Stories|Kate Chopin
The delicious soft rains set in early, promising a good grain year.Ramona|Helen Hunt Jackson
Not a zephyr ruffled the leaf of a rose, and a soft breathing fragrance bathed his reposing senses.The Pastor's Fire-side Vol. 3 of 4|Jane Porter
British Dictionary definitions for soft
- an older word for lenis
- (not in technical usage) denoting the consonants c and g in English when they are pronounced as palatal or alveolar fricatives or affricates (s, / dʒ /, / ʃ /, / ð /, / tʃ /) before e and i, rather than as velar stops (k, g)
- (in the Slavonic languages) palatalized before a front vowel or a special character (soft sign) written as Ь
- unprotected against attacka soft target
- military unarmoured, esp as applied to a truck by comparison with a tank
- gentle, sympathetic, or lenient towards
- feeling affection or infatuation for
Derived forms of softsoftly, adverb
Word Origin for soft
Other Idioms and Phrases with soft
In addition to the idioms beginning with soft
- soften up
- soft in the head
- soft job
- soft on
- soft pedal
- soft sell
- soft soap
- soft spot
- soft touch
- hard (soft) sell