Words nearby soldiering
Definition for soldiering (2 of 2)
- a member of a caste of sexually underdeveloped female ants or termites specialized, as with powerful jaws, to defend the colony from invaders.
- a similar member of a caste of worker bees, specialized to protect the hive.
verb (used without object)
Origin of soldier
OTHER WORDS FROM soldiersol·dier·ship, nounnon·sol·dier, noun
Examples from the Web for soldiering
Reprinted with permission from WWII: A Chronicle of Soldiering by James Jones, published by the University of Chicago Press.Blood in the Sand: When James Jones Wrote a Grunt’s View of D-Day|James Jones|November 15, 2014|DAILY BEAST
But the confusion points to more serious problems with how our society thinks about both sex and soldiering.Why These Marines Love ‘Frozen’—and Why It Matters|Aaron B. O’Connell|June 27, 2014|DAILY BEAST
But there are two other candidates as well who are soldiering along without any national attention.
As a teenager he developed a passion for soldiering, or, rather, the idea of it.
ABC is soldiering on with the series, even though, with the loss of Oh, it will be on creative life support.
Those months passed pleasantly, and will ever be remembered as the best part of our three years' soldiering.Campaign of the Fourteenth Regiment New Jersey Volunteers|J. Newton Terrill
He loves the noise of soldiering—he do; and if he thought you was going away without him, he'd break his heart, Mr. Cecil, sir.Under Two Flags|Ouida [Louise de la Ramee]
General Sterling Price was a civilian who by natural inclination turned to soldiering.The Civil War Through the Camera|Henry W. (Henry William) Elson
He had studied his trade of soldiering since he was old enough to talk.A Treasury of Heroes and Heroines|Clayton Edwards
Or, to a friend of soldiering days: "Four blackguard boys and only a brace of the Plentiful Sex!"Mount Music|E. Oe. Somerville and Martin Ross
British Dictionary definitions for soldiering
- a person who serves or has served in an army
- Also called: common soldier a noncommissioned member of an army as opposed to a commissioned officer
- an individual in a colony of social insects, esp ants, that has powerful jaws adapted for defending the colony, crushing large food particles, etc
- (as modifier)soldier ant