- a member of a caste of sexually underdeveloped female ants or termites specialized, as with powerful jaws, to defend the colony from invaders.
- a similar member of a caste of worker bees, specialized to protect the hive.
verb (used without object)
IS YOUR VOCABULARY AS STRONG AS A HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT? TRY THIS QUIZ TO SEE!
Origin of soldier
OTHER WORDS FROM soldiersol·dier·ship, nounnon·sol·dier, noun
Words nearby soldier
Example sentences from the Web for soldier
A soldier in the service of ideals and aspirations that formed his core.
The story of the soldier returning home to a country he no longer recognizes is a very old one.A Veteran’s View: NYC Cold War Between Cops and City Hall|Matt Gallagher|December 29, 2014|DAILY BEAST
In their midst stands a soldier with the Lebanese armed forces in a red beret, sporting an assault rifle and an unblinking stare.
The families had gathered that Sunday to remember Ali Bazzal, a soldier whom the Nusra Front declared they had executed on Dec. 6.
Francis then supposedly told the officer that he was the one giving orders now and ordered a cappuccino for the Swiss soldier.Is The Pope Unprotected Now That He’s Fired the Head of the Swiss Guards?|Barbie Latza Nadeau|December 5, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The soldier, drying his eyes and moustache with his little blue cotton handkerchief, remained motionless as the god Terminus.The Wandering Jew, Complete|Eugene Sue
The Rebel soldier had stolen his coat, and he had no blanket to protect him from the cold night-winds.Winning His Way|Charles Carleton Coffin
Again, this Confederate soldier was born and reared a gentleman, was so by instinct.The Story of a Confederate boy in the Civil War|David E. Johnston
Not an officer or soldier but must recollect a case in point.Red-Tape and Pigeon-Hole Generals|William H. Armstrong
A soldier introducing a woman to another man, who holds a scythe in his hand.The Dance of Death|Francis Douce
British Dictionary definitions for soldier
- a person who serves or has served in an army
- Also called: common soldier a noncommissioned member of an army as opposed to a commissioned officer
- an individual in a colony of social insects, esp ants, that has powerful jaws adapted for defending the colony, crushing large food particles, etc
- (as modifier)soldier ant