- a member of a caste of sexually underdeveloped female ants or termites specialized, as with powerful jaws, to defend the colony from invaders.
- a similar member of a caste of worker bees, specialized to protect the hive.
verb (used without object)
Words nearby soldier
Origin of soldier
OTHER WORDS FROM soldiersol·dier·ship, nounnon·sol·dier, noun
Examples from the Web for soldier
A soldier in the service of ideals and aspirations that formed his core.
The story of the soldier returning home to a country he no longer recognizes is a very old one.A Veteran’s View: NYC Cold War Between Cops and City Hall|Matt Gallagher|December 29, 2014|DAILY BEAST
In their midst stands a soldier with the Lebanese armed forces in a red beret, sporting an assault rifle and an unblinking stare.
The families had gathered that Sunday to remember Ali Bazzal, a soldier whom the Nusra Front declared they had executed on Dec. 6.
Francis then supposedly told the officer that he was the one giving orders now and ordered a cappuccino for the Swiss soldier.Is The Pope Unprotected Now That He’s Fired the Head of the Swiss Guards?|Barbie Latza Nadeau|December 5, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The soldier, drying his eyes and moustache with his little blue cotton handkerchief, remained motionless as the god Terminus.The Wandering Jew, Complete|Eugene Sue
The Rebel soldier had stolen his coat, and he had no blanket to protect him from the cold night-winds.Winning His Way|Charles Carleton Coffin
Again, this Confederate soldier was born and reared a gentleman, was so by instinct.The Story of a Confederate boy in the Civil War|David E. Johnston
Not an officer or soldier but must recollect a case in point.Red-Tape and Pigeon-Hole Generals|William H. Armstrong
A soldier introducing a woman to another man, who holds a scythe in his hand.The Dance of Death|Francis Douce
British Dictionary definitions for soldier
- a person who serves or has served in an army
- Also called: common soldier a noncommissioned member of an army as opposed to a commissioned officer
- an individual in a colony of social insects, esp ants, that has powerful jaws adapted for defending the colony, crushing large food particles, etc
- (as modifier)soldier ant