- to gather on a surface either by absorption, adsorption, or a combination of the two processes.
Origin of sorb2
- another name for service tree (def. 1)
- any of various related trees, esp the mountain ash
- Also called: sorb apple the fruit of any of these trees
Word Origin for sorb
- a member of a Slavonic people living chiefly in the rural areas of E Germany between the upper reaches of the Oder and Elbe rivers (Lusatia)Also called: Wend, Lusatian
Word Origin and History for sorbing
1843, from German Sorbe, from Slavic Serb, the national designation. Slavic people surviving in Lusatia, eastern Saxony, also known as Wends. Related: Sorbian (1836); earlier Sorabian (1788), from Medieval Latin Sorabi.
"fruit of the service tree," 1520s, from French sorbe, from Latin sorbum "service-berry" (small, edible fruit of the European mountain ash), from sorbus, of uncertain origin.