Words nearby spacing
OTHER WORDS FROM spacingself-spac·ing, adjective
Definition for spacing (2 of 2)
- the designed and structured surface of a picture: In Mondrian's later work he organized space in highly complex rhythms.
- the illusion of depth on a two-dimensional surface.
verb (used with object), spaced, spac·ing.
- to separate (words, letters, or lines) by spaces.
- to extend by inserting more space or spaces (usually followed by out).
Origin of space
OTHER WORDS FROM spacespac·er, nounmis·space, verb (used with object), mis·spaced, mis·spac·ing.re·space, verb (used with object), re·spaced, re·spac·ing.
Examples from the Web for spacing
Spacing around ellipses and em-dashes is as in the original.The Cricket|Marjorie Cooke
Spacing of this sort is particularly objectionable for good printing.Typesetting|A. A. Stewart
Spacing retained in all occurrences of 'any thing', 'every thing', 'every where' and 'every one'.Wonderful Stories for Children|Hans Christian Andersen
Spacing and possible mechanisms of population regulation in wolves.An Experimental Translocation of the Eastern Timber Wolf|Thomas F. Weise
Spacing after punctuation standardized, inconsistent hyphenation and archaic spelling retained.
British Dictionary definitions for spacing (1 of 2)
British Dictionary definitions for spacing (2 of 2)
- unoccupied area or roomthere is no space for a table
- (in combination)space-saving Related adjective: spacious
- the region beyond the earth's atmosphere containing the other planets of the solar system, stars, galaxies, etc; universe
- (as modifier)a space probe; space navigation
- the region beyond the earth's atmosphere occurring between the celestial bodies of the universe. The density is normally negligible although cosmic rays, meteorites, gas clouds, etc, can occur. It can be divided into cislunar space (between the earth and moon), interplanetary space, interstellar space, and intergalactic space
- (as modifier)a space station; a space simulator
- a piece of metal, less than type-high, used to separate letters or words in hot-metal printing
- any of the gaps used to separate letters, words, or lines in photocomposition, desktop publishing, etc
Word Origin for space
Medical definitions for spacing
Scientific definitions for spacing
Idioms and Phrases with spacing
In addition to the idiom beginning with space
- space out
- breathing space
- take up space