- built, done, bought, etc., as a speculation: the construction of spec houses.
- to provide specifications for: Their newest truck was spec'd by a computer.
- on spec, made, built, or done with hopes of but no assurance of payment or a sale; without commitment by a client or buyer: ad illustrations done on spec; luxury homes built on spec and sold before completion.
Origin of spec
- spectacles; eyeglasses.
Origin of specs
Related Words for specpurchase, financing, transaction, finance, grant, money, loan, stake, property, expenditure, asset, venture, contribution, expense, blueprint, stipulation, spec, plunge, deal, undertaking
Examples from the Web for spec
Contemporary Examples of spec
A Facebook photo shows four of them, 28-year-old Staff Sgt Francis Phillips, 19-year-old Spec.
Cody Towse, 29-year-old Sgt.1st Class Jeffrey Baker, 24-year-old Spec.
Then comes the spec, circus slang for the spectacle that opens the show.Giovanni Zoppé’s Real-Life Family Circus
October 21, 2012
The director, Peter Hermes, had an online sample reel of previous work that included a spec Doritos commercial.Two California Women Turn Themselves Into Real-Life Versions of Thelma and Louise
January 7, 2012
Richard Rushfield is a contributing editor at Vanity Fair and the author of On Spec: A Novel of Young Hollywood.Memories in the Facebook Age
November 26, 2009
Historical Examples of spec
"Spec she's taken dem dogs a walkin'," said black Deborah unconcernedly.The Inn at the Red Oak
"Da-da-dat is, er—I spec' so—er—I dun'no', ma'm," he stammered.Southern Lights and Shadows
I even added grimly that I knew only too well how that sort of spec.'Twixt Land & Sea
Like Topsy one can but "'spec' it growed" rather than was created.Holbein
I 'spec' you must finish him up, and let's see what he wants of us.'Oldtown Fireside Stories
Harriet Beecher Stowe
- on spec as a speculation or gambleall the tickets were sold so I went to the theatre on spec
- (prenominal) Australian and NZ speculativea spec developer
Word Origin for spec
short for specification, 1956. Related: Specs.
see on spec.