Words nearby speeding
Definition for speeding (2 of 2)
- Also called film speed. the sensitivity of a film or paper to light, measured by an ASA or DIN index, which assigns low numbers to slow film and higher numbers to faster film.
- Also called shutter speed. the length of time a shutter is opened to expose film.
- the largest opening at which a lens can be used.
verb (used with object), sped or speed·ed, speed·ing.
verb (used without object), sped or speed·ed, speed·ing.
Origin of speed
SYNONYMS FOR speed
OTHER WORDS FROM speed
Examples from the Web for speeding
Farrell issued a ticket to an 18-year-old shipyard worker for speeding and an improper exhaust mechanism, according to the TP.
The second stop for speeding happened in another state a year later.
He said his son was confused why he was being pulled over—other cars had been speeding by him—before hanging up the phone.Sharpton Recalls Civil Rights Struggle in DC March Against Police Violence|Ben Jacobs|December 13, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Maybe he had been at a card game—wherever he was, it was late and he was speeding in the rain.
In 2012, he “punched her in the neck and dragged her alongside a speeding car with their two children in the vehicle.”
On the contrary, I am speeding them forward with added watchfulness.The Philippine Islands, 1493-1898|E. H. Blair
Another moment she was in the street, speeding with swift, light steps across the park.The Masked Bridal|Mrs. Georgie Sheldon
The lantern at the top of the lighthouse on Bakers Island bade good night to the speeding boats, and wished them 64 safe voyage.Four Afloat|Ralph Henry Barbour
The next instant, his sword-point dripping blood, the runner 403 was beyond reach, speeding for the open gate.Beyond the Frontier|Randall Parrish
His heart was in his mouth as he saw how recklessly Fleming was speeding.Baseball Joe in the World Series|Lester Chadwick
British Dictionary definitions for speeding
- a gear ratio in a motor vehicle, bicycle, etc
- (in combination)a three-speed gear
- operating at an acceptable or competitive level
- in possession of all the relevant or necessary information
verb speeds, speeding, sped or speeded
- (intr) to prosper or succeed
- (tr) to wish success to
Derived forms of speedspeeder, noun
Word Origin for speed
Scientific definitions for speeding
Idioms and Phrases with speeding
In addition to the idiom beginning with speed
- speed up
- full speed ahead
- up to par (speed)