- a solid geometrical figure similar in shape to a sphere, as an ellipsoid.
Origin of spheroid
Related Words for spheroidspherical, rounded, cylindrical, elliptical, oval, curved, bulbous, planet, world, map, bowed, looped, arched, spiral, circular, arced, bent, ringed, coiled, spheroid
Examples from the Web for spheroid
Historical Examples of spheroid
Indignantly he had taken his calculations, his blue prints of the spheroid, along with him.Slaves of Mercury
Its shape is not absolutely spherical, but spheroid—that is, flattened at the poles.Astronomy for Amateurs
The spheroid went to the side, sailing low, and out of bounds.
There was a futile attempt to block the kick, but the spheroid sailed over the bar.
The earth is a spheroid, and hence it pulls and is pulled by the moon with a slightly uncentric attraction.Pioneers of Science
- maths another name for ellipsoid of revolution
- shaped like but not exactly a sphere
- Having a generally spherical shape.
- A three-dimensional geometric surface generated by rotating an ellipse on or about one of its axes.