[adjective stey-bil, -buh l or, esp. British, -bahyl; noun stey-beel or, esp. British, -bahyl]
- fixed in position; stable.
- Medicine/Medical. resistant to physical or chemical changes.
- a piece of abstract sculpture having immobile units constructed of sheet metal, wire, or other material and attached to fixed supports.Compare mobile(def 10).
Origin of stabile
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- arts a stationary abstract construction, usually of wire, metal, wood, etcCompare mobile (def. 6a)
- fixed; stable
- resistant to chemical change
C18: from Latin stabilis
stabile(stā′bĭl, -bəl, -bīl′, -bēl′)
- Resistant to change; stable; steady.