- a building or place where stocks and other securities are bought and sold.
- an association of brokers and dealers in stocks and bonds who meet together and transact business according to fixed rules.
Origin of stock exchange
Examples from the Web for stock exchange
Historical Examples of stock exchange
It is not all gold that glitters either on the stock-exchange or anywhere else.The Expositor's Bible: The Book of Joshua
William Garden Blaikie
Trade and the stock-exchange are altogether in the hands of Jews and Germans.
The science lies in knowing when there is good weather on the stock-exchange.
From being a baron of the stock-exchange he had become a prince.
There is no court-martial in the stock-exchange, and no justice for the injured.
- Also called: stock market
- a highly organized market facilitating the purchase and sale of securities and operated by professional stockbrokers and market makers according to fixed rules
- a place where securities are regularly traded
- (as modifier)a stock-exchange operator; stock-exchange prices
- the prices or trading activity of a stock exchangethe stock exchange fell heavily today