- the highest point or part, as of a hill, a line of travel, or any object; top; apex.
- the highest point of attainment or aspiration: the summit of one's ambition.
- the highest state or degree.
- the highest level of diplomatic or other governmental officials: a meeting at the summit.
- summit meeting.
- of or relating to a summit meeting: summit talks.
- to take part in a summit meeting.
- to reach a summit: summited after a 14-hour climb.
- to reach the summit of.
Origin of summit
SynonymsSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
- a city in NE New Jersey.
- a city in NE Illinois.
Examples from the Web for summit
It is the summit of human happiness: the surrender of man to God, of woman to man, of several women to the same man.Houellebecq’s Incendiary Novel Imagines France With a Muslim President
January 9, 2015
But then the summit gives way to the other side of the hill, and a childlike glee arises from the whooooosh of the descent.Biking With the Bard
December 28, 2014
To whet your appetite, you can relive that glorious moment (and watch other programs from the 2014 summit) here.Save the Date: Women in the World 2015
December 23, 2014
The next time all the presidents from North and South America meet will be at the Summit of the Americas in Panama in April.Venezuela Says Goodbye to Its Lil Friend, While the Rest of the Continent Cheers
December 20, 2014
At the summit, Xi had been front and center, seemingly without peer.Obama and Xi Jinping Say They’ll Work Together to Save Environment
November 12, 2014
A stream of water, pure as crystal, flowed along the path, from the summit to the base.Philothea
Lydia Maria Child
This afternoon went with Jemmy to the summit of Yeadie, and took a round of angles.
From the summit of Mount Margaret the view was very extensive.
Went with Pierre to the summit of Skirmish Hill, and took angles.
The view from the summit of the hill is commanding and beautiful, but its grape is unique.
- the highest point or part, esp of a mountain or line of communication; top
- the highest possible degree or state; peak or climaxthe summit of ambition
- the highest level, importance, or ranka meeting at the summit
- a meeting of chiefs of governments or other high officials
- (as modifier)a summit conference
Word Origin and History for summit
late 15c., from Middle French somete, from Old French sommette, diminutive of som, sum "highest part, top of a hill," from Latin summum, noun use of neuter of summus "highest," related to super "over" (see super-). The meaning "meeting of heads of state" (1950) is from Winston Churchill's metaphor of "a parley at the summit."