verb (used with object), sup·plied, sup·ply·ing.
verb (used without object), sup·plied, sup·ply·ing.
noun, plural sup·plies.
- all items necessary for the equipment, maintenance, and operation of a military command, including food, clothing, arms, ammunition, fuel, materials, and machinery.
- procurement, distribution, maintenance, and salvage of supplies.
Origin of supply1
Related formssup·pli·er, nounun·sup·plied, adjectivewell-sup·plied, adjective
Examples from the Web for supplying
He profited a great deal from knowing how to keep the reporters on his side, supplying the newspapermen with great material.
Iran and Russia are supplying planes and forces of their own.
Eden Foods Incorporated Eden Foods is a Michigan-based corporation that specializes in supplying macrobiotic, organic food.After Hobby Lobby, These 82 Corporations Could Drop Birth Control Coverage|Abby Haglage|June 30, 2014|DAILY BEAST
And there are strong reasons why a person who could make a reputation and a profit off supplying that stuff should do so.
Thanks to Mark Santangelo and Mary Thompson of Mount Vernon for supplying historical research for this column.
Simply because supplying his wants is not the whole object the father has in view.The Truth of Christianity|William Harry Turton
Your fifth deed was to be the supplying of Polistarchia with fruit.The Magic City|Edith Nesbit
The signing of the armistice saw the difficulties of supplying soluble coffee about overcome.America's Munitions 1917-1918|Benedict Crowell
Is he exhausted by the necessity of supplying them with the light in which they shine?The Parables of Our Lord|William Arnot
A more noble usage prevailed—that of supplying the people with corn.A Philosophical Dictionary, Volume 3 (of 10)|Franois-Marie Arouet (AKA Voltaire)
British Dictionary definitions for supplying (1 of 2)
verb -plies, -plying or -plied
noun plural -plies
- the act of providing or something that is provided
- (as modifier)a supply dump
- willingness and ability to offer goods and services for sale
- the amount of a commodity that producers are willing and able to offer for sale at a specified priceCompare demand (def. 9)
- the management and disposal of food and equipment
- (as modifier)supply routes
- a person who acts as a temporary substitute
- (as modifier)a supply vicar
Derived Formssuppliable, adjectivesupplier, noun
Word Origin for supply
British Dictionary definitions for supplying (2 of 2)
Culture definitions for supplying
The amount of any given commodity available for sale at a given time.
Idioms and Phrases with supplying
see in short supply.