- a person or thing that supports.
- an adherent, follower, backer, or advocate.
- a device, usually of elastic cotton webbing, for supporting some part of the body, especially a jockstrap.
- a garter, especially one attached to a garter belt or girdle.
- Heraldry. either of two human or animal figures flanking and supporting an escutcheon in an achievement of arms.
Origin of supporter
Related Words for supporterproponent, patron, support, follower, defender, ally, abettor, adherent, exponent, paraclete, pillar, bearer, brace, booster, sustainer, seconder, upholder, abider
Examples from the Web for supporter
Contemporary Examples of supporter
“There might be a ‘new fresh thing’ going on here,” said Thom Hartmann, a liberal radio host and Sanders supporter.Why the Left Loves Warren, But Won’t Swoon for Sanders
December 19, 2014
Roberts and the Republicans are trying to portray the independent as a Barack Obama supporter who is just a Democrat in disguise.The Independents Who Could Tip the Senate in November
October 13, 2014
When Michele Bachmann claimed in 2011 that a supporter had been bribed to defect to Ron Paul, observers rolled their eyes.The Time Michele Bachmann Was Right
August 31, 2014
Voters went against him even despite Democratic attempts to portray Hoover as a supporter of racial equality.How Religion Turned Texas Red
August 20, 2014
The key for Santorum is being able to rebuild the supporter infrastructure that he spent so much time laboring to create in 2012.Rick Santorum Is Kinda Coming Back for 2016
August 12, 2014
Historical Examples of supporter
Woe to him who is not the keeper of his own conscience—the supporter of his own resolution!Tales And Novels, Volume 5 (of 10)
Templeton became the sole friend, comforter, and supporter of the daughter.Alice, or The Mysteries, Complete
While hydrogen is readily combustible, it is not a supporter of combustion.An Elementary Study of Chemistry
Captain Mayo gave his supporter a glance of mingled astonishment and relish.Blow The Man Down
He had known before that his father was a supporter of the United Irishmen.The Northern Iron
George A. Birmingham
- a person who or thing that acts as a support
- a person who backs a sports team, politician, etc
- a garment or device worn to ease the strain on or restrict the movement of a bodily structure or part
- heraldry a figure or beast in a coat of arms depicted as holding up the shield
mid-15c., agent noun from support (v.).