- an additional charge, tax, or cost.
- an excessive sum or price charged.
- an additional or excessive load or burden.
- an overprint that alters or restates the face value or denomination of a stamp to which it has been applied.
- a stamp bearing such an overprint.
- act of surcharging.
- to subject to an additional or extra charge, tax, cost, etc. (for payment).
- to overcharge for goods.
- to show an omission in (an account) of something that operates as a charge against the accounting party; to omit a credit toward (an account).
- Philately. to print a surcharge on (a stamp).
- to put an additional or excessive burden upon.
Origin of surcharge
Examples from the Web for surcharge
Contemporary Examples of surcharge
The company makes money by adding a 15 percent surcharge to the price of the meal.The Airbnb of Home-Cooked Meals
November 3, 2014
The devil was predictably in the details, with a surcharge on the rich and a call to end the state and local tax deduction.RIP: Obama’s Grand Bargain With the GOP on Entitlements
March 2, 2014
Historical Examples of surcharge
As to the surcharge, I'll take care of that A beautiful creature, is not she, Mary?The Widow's Dog
Mary Russell Mitford
It is a white cast iron, made by a surcharge of ore in the furnace.
This surcharge will raise revenues by some $4.5 billion in the first year.
The quarterly form was best adapted to admit of this surcharge, as the harp was to occupy the centre of the Union flag.British Flags
W. G. Perrin
By a surcharge of ore, which deranges the action of the furnace, and produces impure cinder, containing uncombined iron.
- a charge in addition to the usual payment, tax, etc
- an excessive sum charged, esp when unlawful
- an extra and usually excessive burden or supply
- law the act or an instance of surcharging
- an overprint that alters the face value of a postage stamp
- to charge an additional sum, tax, etc
- to overcharge (a person) for something
- to put an extra physical burden upon; overload
- to fill to excess; overwhelm
- law to insert credits that have been omitted in (an account)
- to overprint a surcharge on (a stamp)