verb (used with object)
verb (used without object)
- to fill the gas tank of an automobile or other motor vehicle.
- Slang. to drink a great quantity of alcoholic beverage, especially to intoxication.
Words nearby tank
Idioms for tank
- failing, doing poorly, or declining: His grades were in the tank last quarter.
- favoring, colluding, or assisting in a partisan way (often followed by with or for): The talk-show host was in the tank with the Green Party.
Origin of tank
OTHER WORDS FROM tanktank·less, adjectivetank·like, adjective
Examples from the Web for tank
Tank Battle Kim's death -- a clean version of Kim's Face shot (no head burning or head exploding).
Tank Battle Jeep Guard Crush -- some editorial changes and the removal of all blood when the guards are crushed by the tank.
Tougher regulations on tank cars and oil-by-rail make sense.
If it is the tank, then it looks reasonably intact, suggesting it did not fail.Clues From SpaceShipTwo’s Wreckage: Did the Crew Compartment Fail?|Clive Irving|November 2, 2014|DAILY BEAST
In battle, it means the ability to shift from suicide bombers to tank columns and maneuver warfare in the span of a day.
The tank is of wrought iron or steel with strengthening pieces of angle iron.The Bacillus of Long Life|Loudon Douglas
As the tank was passing our guns a shrapnel shell burst just behind it and above it.
The angle was impossible, so close to the ship, but they did manage to get a corner of the tank on the screen.Accidental Flight|Floyd L. Wallace
Then came the sound of the explosion of the Florence's second tank.El Diablo|Brayton Norton
The slow passage through the second tank is intended to give the particles time to settle.Marvels of Scientific Invention|Thomas W. Corbin
British Dictionary definitions for tank
- an armoured combat vehicle moving on tracks and armed with guns, etc, originally developed in World War I
- (as modifier)a tank commander; a tank brigade
- a light-tight container inside which a film can be processed in daylight, the solutions and rinsing waters being poured in and out without light entering
- any large dish or container used for processing a number of strips or sheets of film
- a jail
- a jail cell
Derived forms of tanktankless, adjectivetanklike, adjective
Word Origin for tank
Idioms and Phrases with tank
In addition to the idiom beginning with tank
- tank up
- think tank