Definition for tanked (2 of 2)
verb (used with object)
verb (used without object)
- to fill the gas tank of an automobile or other motor vehicle.
- Slang. to drink a great quantity of alcoholic beverage, especially to intoxication.
Origin of tank
Examples from the Web for tanked
Indeed, my afternoon mental focus after a run was about 11% higher, compared to a healthy lunch that tanked my mind by about 9%.How to Use Your Lunch Hour for Better Productivity, Without Ever Taking a Bite|Gregory Ferenstein|April 23, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Last month Cloud Atlas, her most recent film, tanked at the box office.
After Rollerball tanked, things hit a snag for Klein, resulting in a two-year gap in his acting resume from 2003-05.Chris Klein Opens Up About His Battle With Alcohol, Katie Holmes, and ‘American Reunion’|Marlow Stern|April 6, 2012|DAILY BEAST
He tanked with right-wing voters because he made the fatal error of showing some humanity to the children of illegal immigrants.Michael Tomasky on Newt Gingrich's Momentary Explosion of GOP Support|Michael Tomasky|November 15, 2011|DAILY BEAST
In 2007, Across the Universe, a musical created around the songs of the Beatles, tanked.
In the ordinary morning ablutions they tanked without suffocating.
The substance of her answer was, that she could do everything under the sun, provided she were not “tanked” after.Johnny Ludlow, Second Series|Mrs. Henry Wood
After storing several years it is known commercially as “tanked oil,” and has a high value in varnish-making.
They tanked her cruel they did, and kept her under water till she was nigh gone.
She visited the tanked one, found her in a cold room after it, shivering like ague, and her teeth chattering.
British Dictionary definitions for tanked
- an armoured combat vehicle moving on tracks and armed with guns, etc, originally developed in World War I
- (as modifier)a tank commander; a tank brigade
- a light-tight container inside which a film can be processed in daylight, the solutions and rinsing waters being poured in and out without light entering
- any large dish or container used for processing a number of strips or sheets of film
- a jail
- a jail cell
Word Origin for tank
Idioms and Phrases with tanked
In addition to the idiom beginning with tank
- tank up
- think tank