- next after ninth; being the ordinal number for ten.
- being one of ten equal parts.
- one of ten equal parts, especially of one (1/10).
- the member of a series preceding the eleventh and following the ninth.
- a tone distant from another tone by an interval of an octave and a third.
- the interval between such tones.
- the harmonic combination of such tones.
- Also called tenth's place. (in decimal notation) the position of the first digit to the right of the decimal point.
- in the tenth place; tenthly.
Origin of tenth
Examples from the Web for tenth
Contemporary Examples of tenth
In 2014 only a tenth as many tourists came as had come the year before.Is Putin Turning to Terrorism in Ukraine?
January 6, 2015
How to Train Your Dragon 2, the tenth highest grossing movie in 2014 America, made $22 million at the Korean box office.Propaganda, Protest, and Poisonous Vipers: The Cinema War in Korea
December 30, 2014
But today, five years later, there are less than a tenth that number serving in those two countries.The Detainee Abuse Photos Obama Didn’t Want You To See
Noah Shachtman, Tim Mak
December 15, 2014
This would outfit less than one tenth of police officers nationwide but gets the idea circulating.Dear GOP: Fix the Damn Justice System!
December 7, 2014
Buffalo ranked tenth in the nation, while Detroit and Pittsburgh ranked twelth and thirteenth, respectively.The Rustbelt Roars Back From the Dead
Joel Kotkin, Richey Piiparinen
December 7, 2014
Historical Examples of tenth
They're in them nine tenths of the time to a man's one tenth.Her Father's Daughter
Possession is nine points of the law, and Time may give the tenth.Night and Morning, Complete
The competition had commenced, and I was the tenth on the list.My Double Life
You haven't one tenth of what the other girls you go with have.Alice Adams
Even so, the tenth Earl of Brinstead had dined publicly with them.Ruggles of Red Gap
Harry Leon Wilson
- (usually prenominal)
- coming after the ninth in numbering or counting order, position, time, etc; being the ordinal number of ten: often written 10th
- (as noun)see you on the tenth; tenth in line
- one of 10 approximately equal parts of something
- (as modifier)a tenth part
- one of 10 equal divisions of a particular measurement, etcdecibel Related prefix: deci-
- the fraction equal to one divided by ten (1/10)
- an interval of one octave plus a third
- one of two notes constituting such an interval in relation to the other
- Also: tenthly after the ninth person, position, event, etc
- Also: tenthly as the 10th point: linking what follows with the previous statements, as in a speech or argument