pronoun, plural these [theez]. /ðiz/.
adjective, plural these [theez]. /ðiz/.
QUIZ YOURSELF ON “THEIR,” “THERE,” AND “THEY’RE”
Idioms for this
Origin of this
Words nearby this
Example sentences from the Web for this
But the two presenting together, as they did here at the 2008 Emmy Awards, is an out-of-this-world combination.Golden Globes Hosts Tina Fey & Amy Poehler’s Funniest Moments (Video)|Kevin Fallon|January 12, 2014|DAILY BEAST
But on the relative plane, Zen is this-worldly and does not deny ethics, or ontology for that matter.
The bogus cry of this-raises-serious-concerns was soon heard throughout the land.The Politicization of the Boston Bombings Has Begun|Howard Kurtz|April 21, 2013|DAILY BEAST
If he thinks that he can get a deal he likes, I'd expect to see a c'mon-guys-we-can-do-this conciliatory exhortation.
True, it can be fun to know that this-or-that athlete is Jewish.
Rodney is thoroughly and comfortably this-worldly; Michael is—other-worldly!Jane Journeys On|Ruth Comfort Mitchell
What has made thy heart so sore as to come and cry a-this-ons?Lizzie Leigh|Elizabeth Gaskell
For marriage is like life in this-that it is a field of battle, and not a bed of roses.The Pocket R.L.S.|Robert Louis Stevenson
Waal, we're ergwine ter nail up thet door ternight an' quit this-hyar place.
"I reckon Newty's got a license ter dwell in this-hyar house," she belligerently asserted.
British Dictionary definitions for this
determiner (used before a singular noun)
- used preceding a noun referring to something or someone that is closer: distinct from thatthis dress is cheaper than that one; look at this picture
- (as pronoun)this is Mary and that is her boyfriend; take this
- used preceding a noun that has just been mentioned or is understoodthis plan of yours won't work
- (as pronoun)I first saw this on Sunday
- used to refer to something about to be said, read, etcconsider this argument
- (as pronoun)listen to this
- the present or immediatethis time you'll know better
- (as pronoun)before this, I was mistaken
Word Origin for this
Idioms and Phrases with this
In addition to the idioms beginning with this
- this and that
- this is where I came in
- this side of
- at this point
- at this rate
- at this stage
- from this day forward
- in this day and age
- out of this world
- shuffle off (this mortal coil)