pronoun, plural these [theez]. /ðiz/.
adjective, plural these [theez]. /ðiz/.
QUIZ YOURSELF ON THE 12 TYPES OF VERB TENSES!
Idioms for this
Origin of this
Words nearby this
How to use this in a sentence
But the two presenting together, as they did here at the 2008 Emmy Awards, is an out-of-this-world combination.Golden Globes Hosts Tina Fey & Amy Poehler’s Funniest Moments (Video)|Kevin Fallon|January 12, 2014|DAILY BEAST
But on the relative plane, Zen is this-worldly and does not deny ethics, or ontology for that matter.
The bogus cry of this-raises-serious-concerns was soon heard throughout the land.The Politicization of the Boston Bombings Has Begun|Howard Kurtz|April 21, 2013|DAILY BEAST
If he thinks that he can get a deal he likes, I'd expect to see a c'mon-guys-we-can-do-this conciliatory exhortation.
True, it can be fun to know that this-or-that athlete is Jewish.
Rodney is thoroughly and comfortably this-worldly; Michael is—other-worldly!Jane Journeys On|Ruth Comfort Mitchell
What has made thy heart so sore as to come and cry a-this-ons?Lizzie Leigh|Elizabeth Gaskell
For marriage is like life in this-that it is a field of battle, and not a bed of roses.The Pocket R.L.S.|Robert Louis Stevenson
Waal, we're ergwine ter nail up thet door ternight an' quit this-hyar place.
"I reckon Newty's got a license ter dwell in this-hyar house," she belligerently asserted.
British Dictionary definitions for this
determiner (used before a singular noun)
- used preceding a noun referring to something or someone that is closer: distinct from thatthis dress is cheaper than that one; look at this picture
- (as pronoun)this is Mary and that is her boyfriend; take this
- used preceding a noun that has just been mentioned or is understoodthis plan of yours won't work
- (as pronoun)I first saw this on Sunday
- used to refer to something about to be said, read, etcconsider this argument
- (as pronoun)listen to this
- the present or immediatethis time you'll know better
- (as pronoun)before this, I was mistaken
Word Origin for this
Idioms and Phrases with this
In addition to the idioms beginning with this
- this and that
- this is where I came in
- this side of
- at this point
- at this rate
- at this stage
- from this day forward
- in this day and age
- out of this world
- shuffle off (this mortal coil)