- a person or thing that times.
- a person who measures or records time.
- a device for indicating or measuring elapsed time, as a stopwatch.
- a device for controlling machinery, appliances, or the like, in a specified way at a predetermined time: Please put the roast in the oven and set the timer to cook it for two hours.
- (in an internal-combustion engine) a set of points actuated by a cam, which causes the spark for igniting the charge at the instant required.
Origin of timer
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for timer
It also has a rechargeable battery and a timer, so you can leave it to set to work and return to a good-as-new grill later.Sunny Smartwatches, Bags, and iGrills: This Summer’s Must-Have Tech
May 27, 2014
Another technique that utilizes the timer is the Tabata protocol.The Busy Person’s Guide to Becoming a Fitness Minimalist
December 27, 2013
I set the timer on my iPhone so that it goes off when I need to stop writing and attend to something else.Curtis Sittenfeld: How I Write
June 26, 2013
But in the end, after the timer buzzed, she assured us it was all “for our children.”15 Hilarious Pageant Moments
June 18, 2013
Cheaper models are just an electric heating element and a timer, at which point, you might as well just go back to the stovetop.The 2012 Holiday Kitchen Gift Guide
December 13, 2012
I suppose the rascally spy isn't still in this clump of timer, eh?The Dare Boys of 1776
Stephen Angus Cox
It was two hours before I located the same, which was caused by the timer.The Prairie Mother
He jimmied the timer on the rocket motor so it would fire to the last drop.Far from Home
Two lights crossed the lenses of her eyes, but no timer could have caught them.Sunlight Patch
Credo Fitch Harris
And have a man from the garage with extra tires and a timer for the carburetor.Eve to the Rescue
- a device for measuring, recording, or indicating time
- a switch or regulator that causes a mechanism to operate at a specific time or at predetermined intervals
- a person or thing that times
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012