- the passage of a heavenly body across the meridian of a given location or through the field of a telescope.
- the passage of Mercury or Venus across the disk of the sun, or of a satellite or its shadow across the face of its primary.
- meridian circle.
verb (used with object), tran·sit·ed, tran·sit·ing.
verb (used without object), tran·sit·ed, tran·sit·ing.
LEARN THE SPANISH WORDS FOR THESE COMMON ANIMALS!
Origin of transit
Example sentences from the Web for transit
The American Public Transportation Association has lobbied for $32 billion from Congress, $7 billion more than what the Cares Act provided transit organizations.Metro board approves budget cuts, buyouts as pandemic dents agency’s budget|Justin George|November 19, 2020|Washington Post
The county is doing a lot of planning for transit in the area, too.Amazon update: Second headquarters development and the area’s housing market|Michele Lerner|November 19, 2020|Washington Post
Metro Transit Police arrested a 28-year-old Maryland man Wednesday on charges he fatally shot another man Sunday night at the New Carrollton train station, transit officials said.Arrest made in fatal shooting at New Carrollton Metro station|Clarence Williams|November 12, 2020|Washington Post
They must be near transit and in areas that already allow dense apartments, and the benefit they receive depends on how far they are from downtown.Morning Report: All Eyes on Council President Race|Voice of San Diego|November 10, 2020|Voice of San Diego
They know firsthand the need to build more workforce housing in all neighborhoods, especially those in the urban core near jobs and transit.Environment Report: Coastal Neighborhoods Supported Measure E Least|MacKenzie Elmer|November 9, 2020|Voice of San Diego
Ships were transiting without security through the Indian Ocean, near Somalia, and ripe for the picking.
Transiting through medical facilities in Germany, he checked into Bethesda.Home on the Fourth of July: Two Marines, Two Purple Hearts|John Kael Weston|July 4, 2013|DAILY BEAST
British Dictionary definitions for transit
- the passage or conveyance of goods or people
- (as modifier)a transit visa
- the passage of a celestial body or satellite across the face of a relatively larger body as seen from the earth
- the apparent passage of a celestial body across the meridian, caused by the earth's diurnal rotation