- a projecting object mounted on a moving part for striking a control lever to stop, reverse, or otherwise control the actions of some machine, as a milling machine or printing press.
- a sudden release or start.
- an instance or period of being under the influence of a hallucinogenic drug, especially LSD.
- the euphoria, illusions, etc., experienced during such a period.
- any stimulating or exciting experience: The class reunion was a real trip.
- any intense interest or preoccupation:She's been on a nostalgia trip all week.
- a period of time, experience, or lifestyle: Those early years in college were a bad trip.
verb (used without object), tripped, trip·ping.
verb (used with object), tripped, trip·ping.
- to break out (an anchor) by turning over or lifting from the bottom by a line (tripping line ) attached to the anchor's crown.
- to tip or turn (a yard) from a horizontal to a vertical position.
- to lift (an upper mast) before lowering.
QUIZ YOURSELF ON “ITS” VS. “IT’S”!
Idioms for trip
Origin of trip1
synonym study for trip
OTHER WORDS FROM tripun·tripped, adjective
Words nearby trip
Definition for trip (2 of 2)
noun British Dialect.
Origin of trip2
Example sentences from the Web for trip
The show will also include documenting the winner’s ISS trip, including their launch and 10-day space station stay, as well as their return journey and landing.Contestants will compete for a SpaceX trip to the International Space Station in new reality TV show|Darrell Etherington|September 17, 2020|TechCrunch
They’re waterproof, which makes them good for whitewater trips, too.How (and Why) to Execute the Perfect Canoe Portage|Alex Hutchinson|September 9, 2020|Outside Online
Some said, “That’ll be the trip of your life,” while others noted, “That place will change you.”The Gear You Need to Bring on a 225-Mile River Trip|Mitch Breton|September 6, 2020|Outside Online
It’s here that my parents told me to take a trip to the village to search for these answers on my own.Lafalaise Dion Takes ESSENCE On A Personal Journey|Nandi Howard|September 4, 2020|Essence.com
Case would even offer to fly out promising and hard-to-reach startups to have them join the trip.
Finding the shop is a trip in itself and an introduction to a slice of history.The Photographer Who Gave Up Manhattan for Marrakech|Liza Foreman|January 6, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Anthony Goldstein probably chose a trip to the Quidditch World Cup over his Birthright trip to Israel.
After my first trip to his place in Tucson we called one another on the telephone.The Story Behind Lee Marvin’s Liberty Valance Smile|Robert Ward|January 3, 2015|DAILY BEAST
“During this trip, I did as a lone wolf, I risked a lot,” he said.
My trip takes the reverse path, and I begin by assessing the depth of my Shakespeare knowledge in his birthplace.
The Comet started on her first trip up the Arkansas, being the first steam boat that ascended that river.The Every Day Book of History and Chronology|Joel Munsell
Liszt has returned from his trip, and I have played to him twice this week, and am to go again on Monday.Music-Study in Germany|Amy Fay
But Punch was five; and he knew that going to England would be much nicer than a trip to Nassick.Kipling Stories and Poems Every Child Should Know, Book II|Rudyard Kipling
The Italian trip was discussed, and considerable ignorance of geography was, as is usual, manifested by all present.The Pit Town Coronet, Volume I (of 3)|Charles James Wills
I knowed, a-course, that I could go kick up a fuss when Simpson stopped by his office on his trip back from Goldstone.Alec Lloyd, Cowpuncher|Eleanor Gates
British Dictionary definitions for trip
- any catch on a mechanism that acts as a switch
- (as modifier)trip button
verb trips, tripping or tripped
- to activate (a mechanical trip)
- trip a switch to switch electric power off by moving the switch armature to disconnect the supply
Derived forms of triptrippingly, adverb
Word Origin for trip
Idioms and Phrases with trip
In addition to the idioms beginning with trip
- triple threat
- trip the light fantastic
- trip up
- bad trip
- ego trip
- round trip